The Father and the Traitor

When I was young, my father reminded me to be wary of the people around me, to stay on the sidelines and watch every moment for it may unravel scenes that were never seen by the common people. A keen eye would be an advantage in this society, especially in a society of the elites. One could judge what is right and what is wrong, but morals are different from what we perceive to be. Everyone has their own set of morals. And everyone stands for what they deemed to be right and wrong.

My father would always bring me to grandiose dinners. I could remember how the smell of freshly opened bottles of wine emanated in the air, its mellow and sweet scent lingering in the air as the clicks and clacks of shoes on the hardwood floors echoed the dance floor and the jazz music that played in the hall. People dressed in suits and finely tailored dresses talked about business and politics, and flaunted their newly bought diamond-encrusted pieces of jewelry and designer clutches or bags.

I can vividly remember how people danced freely on the dance floor, of the giggling bachelorettes while they were being pursued by bachelors and men who were bachelors at heart. Their coquettish hands flicked in the air, while the other held a flute of champagne. With families engaging in an agreement on whether a marriage of convenience or a newfound partnership.

I was a young child back then. I only think of this event as something that would gather friends, families, and colleagues. Seeing the head of every state by that time is something I could say is normal. It's normal for me to walk past a prime minister or even a high-rank military man. For me, every occasion like that is just a normal get-together. But little did I know, demons are hiding beneath the skins of these people. Hiding behind the finely tailored coats are their deceptive nature, lurking to dig secrets as they tune their blades of words to stab the people who trust them.

My father warned me of strangers who might take advantage of me, but he never warned me of betrayals.

My father never warned me of men in suits who flash their widest smiles as they plan to revolt and betray this country. And of women in their prettiest dresses that are as sly as a fox.

This is the story of a father and a traitor.

—Alethea