Chapter 3: Clearance

I was in my living room, laying on my couch. It was around 10, and it was a Friday, so I could stay up late tonight. Dad was working late at the shop, so I had the place to myself. It was way too quiet, so I thought I'd watch a little bit of SMG4 on my TV from my phone to lighten the mood a little bit. I put on their most popular video, "War of the Fat Italians", which was incredibly funny to watch both SMG4 and Mario face off to see who was the best. But at the same time, it was kinda stupid. The comments people make on their videos can sometimes go over the top and ruin the whole thing. But the one thing I know I can look forward to are the rap battles at the end. Even though they're poorly made, they do spit some hot bars. I also couldn't get this thought out of my head: What if TAS-Corp doesn't want me as a Gamer? What if they saw me as useless, and kicked me? What if I wasn't good enough?

I decided to stop watching SMG4, and I turned on my Neon Genesis X-90 to play a little bit of Battle Blaze. Lucks made it clear that he wants nothing but the best for TAS-Corp. I joined an online Team Deathmatch. It was a good thing I still had all of the Expansion Pack DLC that Dad got me when he first picked up my copy. So, I chose my class: Stealth Ops. I loved using my M16-K2 Stealth Tactic Rifle. I had a whole bunch of other weapons, like a pair of pistols, a combat knife, a bag of grenades, and some flashbangs too. I was really good at the game too, considering I had played it non-stop for a little over 3 years. The team I was playing with was amazing. I chatted with them for a little bit while we were playing. But they very rarely said much of anything, on account of they were in the zone. They were able to pull off so many strategized attacks. But honestly, I think I had lost track of the time, because Dad didn't come home until about 2:00. And I was still playing in Online Matches.

"Devin, why are you still up?!" he asked.

"I'm practicing."

"For what?"

"TAS-Corp. If they choose my form, I gotta be the best at video games. Mr. Lucks made it clear that he only wants the best for his Esports Team."

"I don't trust that man. He seems suspicious. Especially since you're gonna be giving up an arm to be good at video games."

"He says it's gonna help out a lot with my gaming skills."

Dad just stared at me, then turned off my console. I got a little bit annoyed, but at the same time, it was past 2 in the morning, so I thought it would be best if I did get some sleep. Can't play games if you're too tired to even stand. So, I went to my room, and got into bed. I looked at a photo of my mom, my dad, and me.

"Good night, Mom... Wherever you are..."

The next morning, I got a call. It was from a woman by the name of Ellen Price. One of TAS-Corp's secretaries. It went a little something like this:

"Good morning, is this Mr. Devin Brooks?"

"Yeah."

"Hello, this is Ellen Price from TAS-Corp. I've called to inform you that your form has been selected, and you are going to become our first ever Meta Runner."

"Whoa, really?!"

"Yes, sir. When is the earliest you can come in today?"

"Wait, today?! Now?!"

"Yes. Lucks wants to go ahead and get the preparations underway. He's looking forward to this just as much as you. Now, what time can you get here?"

"Uhh... Noon."

"Excellent. We'll see you then. Have a good day."

"You too! I'll see you later!"

She and I hung up shortly after. This was it! This was the day my whole life was going to change! The day I finally make a name for myself! The day I make history! The day I became a Meta Runner!