Chapter 9: Taken to Extremes

On my way home, I thought about something that Sara said. Something about Lucks being exposed for allegedly killing Lucinia. I wasn't too sure about that. But then again, I watched him kill my own father, so I would believe that he did something like that. Yet to one of his own Meta Runners, it's kinda doubtful that he would. Especially one on his Top Team. That, and their captain getting decommissioned for trying to get that information out to the public. Perhaps he thought if he did that, then Lucks would be arrested, and that would prove all those news articles about TAS-Corp ruining everyone's lives to be true. But what would that mean for all of TAS-Corp's employees? What would that mean for their Gamers? What would that mean for the Next Top Team? For Ms. Price? Would they all be out of a job? Or would they be transferred to other Gaming Companies? As much as I wanted to know, I was too scared to find out.

I thought I'd take the scenic route home. But along that way, I'd have to pass by TAS-Corp to get back to the shop. It was a nice night, so I thought I'd check some places out. There were a bunch of really cool places this way. Much like that place with all the weird mirrors. I was honestly kinda happy. At least until I came up on TAS-Corp. Over there, they were holding a press conference. Ellen was answering everyone's questions.

"Ms. Price, is there any reason that Mr. Lucks couldn't make it to tonight's conference?" A reporter asked.

"He's been running on a very aggressive schedule lately, and he decided he needed to take the night off. But, I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have."

Another reporter spoke up, "Ma'am, how do you feel about the Defect still being around? Is he going to be any sort of problem for TAS-Corp in any way?"

"No, I don't believe so. Because the Defect has been running a shop somewhere in District C, and he's doing rather well."

"But what if the Defect turns rogue, and decides to kill people?"

I was disgusted at what I heard. I would never kill! All life is precious.

"The Defect isn't a killer! He's not a monster! He's just a kid who got the short end of the stick."

A journalist asked, "Ms. Price, do you have any information regarding the whereabouts of Lucinia?"

Ellen adjusted her glasses. "Unfortunately, we haven't found her yet. And Lucks doesn't wish to speak about this with the press for the time being until we discover more information on what happened."

I just watched as Ellen kept answering questions. But then, I saw 2 guys walking towards everyone. Both Meta Runners. One had a fully Cybernetic Arm, and the other had a beanie and a sleeveless hoodie. I was kinda skeptical about them. One pulled out their phone, and appeared to press a button on it. And that's when we heard it. A loud explosion coming from TAS-Corp's building. The people started to panic, then everyone started running and screaming. Ellen quickly made her way out of there with two of TAS-Corp's guards, and the two Meta Runners quickly got out of there. Not knowing what to do, I ran as fast as I could, but I felt someone grab me, and drag me into the alleyway. I tried to scream out, but someone covered my mouth.

"Shhh! If you try to do anything, I will rip your heart out! Is that clear?"

I nodded, and they let me go. I saw two guys standing there. One with green hair, and the other with a blue jacket. Both of them were Meta Runners.

"Good. Now, how much do you know about Lucinia Porter?"

"I-I only know that she disappeared out of nowhere! I don't know anything else! I'm just as curious as you are, except a little... less extreme."

The guy with the blue jacket slams me against the wall.

"Which is fine!"

He glared at me in the most menacing way. "It wasn't 'out of nowhere'. Someone caused her disappearance. And last I saw, you were talking with her before she disappeared. HAVE YOU DONE SOMETHING TO HER?!"

The Meta Runner with the green hair spoke up. "Hey, Al, chill! Do you want to attract a crowd? It's bad enough TAS-Corp is being accused of a bunch of things we didn't do. The last thing we need to do is give the media something real to write about!"

"Fine. You talk with him, Roy."

"Alright," Roy turned to me. "Since you have no idea what happened to Lucinia, do you know anyone else who might?"

"Didn't she have a friend?" I asked.

"She's uhh... Not taking the loss too well."

Al spoke up. "If you thought I was bad, you should see her."

"She sent us out here to find out more about what happened to her."

"So... " Al looked out of the alleyway, then back to me. "Do you know anyone else who may know what happened?"

Right as I was about to answer, I heard Tom and Sara walk into the alleyway.

"He doesn't. We told him all he knows." Tom said.

"Hope we're not interrupting playtime." Sara said, looking smug.

Roy looked shocked. "Tom? Sara? What are you two doing here?!"

"Lucks has been calling you for ages! Have you not picked up his calls? You'll be lucky if he doesn't have your arm in his office!" Tom said.

"We're in the middle of an interrogation-" Al gets cut off by Tom.

"I don't care. He needs you both back."

Sara walked over to the both of them. "Just come on. We need to go."

"Fine..." Al said.

Sara pointed over to me. "And YOU!"

"Me?"

"You go home."

Everyone went their separate ways. They made it back to TAS-Corp, and I ran as fast as I could back to the shop.

I quickly rushed upstairs, locking the door behind me, terrified for my life. I ran to the computer to find out what happened. And this was the top story on the site:

"TAS-Corp Building Bombed: Number One Gaming Corporation faces bombing. This happened during a press conference with TAS-Corp Secretary, Ellen Price, who was answering questions about their plans for the future, as well as the recent disappearance of one of their Meta Runners, Lucinia. Two suspects were last seen fleeing from the scene, both believed to be the assailants responsible for such an attack. Police are working to find them, and detain them. Until then, it would be best to stay indoors until the threat calms down."

I just witnessed a bombing. And I saw the two guys that may have done it! I could be in serious trouble! They might come for me next, now that I'm a witness! I had no idea what to do, so I quickly hid in my room, hoping that no one would attempt to come in.

About a month has passed since the bombing. Everything seemed to be back to normal for the time being. Which was good, considering that no one tried to hunt me down for witnessing such an event. As much as TAS-Corp may have deserved it, it shouldn't have happened like this. People could have gotten hurt. And the bad part about it is that the two guys who were suspected to be the bombers haven't been found. But for some reason, the police don't see them as a threat anymore. I guess if they don't find criminals after a month, they declare them as a lost cause. I'm not sure. But the good thing was that I was alive. I wasn't sure for how much longer, but I was still alive nonetheless. However, I still had the feeling that things were going to change. That was on the day they showed up.