chapter 1

"The things that I've seen are so terrifying, even I get scared thinking of them..."

It had gotten much colder by the time they were up and walking to Avara's house

It had gotten much colder by the time they were up and walking to Avara's house. The deadbeat Utah town had already reached thirty degrees. But then again, it was midnight after all.

Simon said that he would help Avara find her way home. He was glad that she knew her own address, but was upset by that fact because that meant that she had to go home, meaning he wouldn't be around her.

Keep her near the voices spoke.

Take care.

Following the directions from his phone, he saw that they were ten minutes away from her house. They had already been walking for about forty minutes so far, and his heart hurt when he figured she was lost for almost an hour, scared and cold.

"You come from a long way, sweetheart." He whispered into the air, his breath being seen from every word that came out of his mouth.

He hadn't expected a response, but he was sure hoping for one. Simon frowned as he looked back to check in on her, but his face turned to one of worry when he found her standing ten feet away from him.

Despite the small distance, he jogged up to her and put his hands on her shoulders, slightly shaking her a bit. He realized that she was asleep with her eyes closed.

"Avara, wake up baby."

Avara woke up to the comforting voice of Simon, and was a bit surprised to see him standing right in front of her.

From the little fright, Avara dropped her strawberries.

Avara suddenly became overwhelmed with everything happening to her. She was freezing, exhausted, and her legs had started to hurt fifteen minutes ago. Now, she had dropped her strawberries that she had saved for her parents.

Avara's eyes become teary, not being able to handle the things that were happening.

"I-Im sorry, I c-can't" She sobbed, letting her mind fog over completely.

It was just too much for her.

Her parents would always tell her that she needed to try harder to clear her head faster, but right now, she couldn't do it. She needed someone, anyone to care for her.

At that moment, Simon was going to be that person.

"Oh baby." He cooed, wrapping his arms around her waist before picking her up into the air, releasing all the weight from her legs.

He felt her lazily wrap her legs around his body immediately, like a sleepy koala. Simon held Avara close as he stood there for a moment, letting her get used to him.

Looking down at her, Simon could see her teeth chattering under her chapped lips. Avara's hands were by her chest, almost like she was praying with fists to get warmer. He brought his free hand up to her face and brushed the loose strands of hair away from her face.