Chapter Three: Truth

Dear Naruto,

I'm going to clip these ribbons together so you can read them in order. I'm using the leftover material from the protection ties we made for the bridge.

I know you still feel ashamed over the scar on my hand. I saw you glancing at it constantly during dinner. Please work on accepting what happened. I'm not angry over the scar. Sometimes you hurt those you care for, and that's okay. You've already apologized and the kami know I have plenty more than a silly scar to apologize to you about.

Did you know that it was Uzumaki tradition to get tattoos on the eve of adulthood? No doubt you've seen the inked arms of the builders and fisherman here in Wave. The Haruno have a similar tradition. Branches are inked into our shoulders upon the completion of our funeral rites.

I won't be getting them, since I'm the last one in Konoha. And likely the whole of the Elemental Nations. I suppose it doesn't matter though, considering the lichtenberg figuren that take up the space that the tattoos normally would have.

I am enough of an Uzumaki to help you with your tattoo rites, however. Hopefully one day I'll stop being a coward and actually do so. We are adults in the eyes of Konohan law, after all. I'm sorry. When I finally give you these I'll be even more sorry.

—Sakura

"Trust does not hide the truth."

          "What happened?" Sakura finally rasps once they have settled back into her hospital room. Belatedly, she realizes the Senju remains silently by the door, expression tense. Kakashi's hand is carding through her hair. When his fingers end at her chin before restarting, Sakura realizes there's much less than before the invasion. They must have needed to cut it to treat her. Amongst everything else, the realization only gives her a vague sense of loss.

"You carried out orders in true Team Seven fashion," Kakashi answers her, clearly exhausted from the tone of his voice. Sasuke squeezes her hand from his position lying next to her. Naruto, on her other side, traces the lines in the palm of her hand.

"Sensei," Sakura complains, somehow laughing a little. Despite everything, Kakashi is still able to make her laugh."

"Sakura," Kakashi whines in the same voice. His fingers quickly escape her hair, going from petting to ruffling in seconds. It only makes her pout intensify.

"Sensei!" Sakura exclaims, but her voice is still pretty quiet. "You know what I meant." Kakashi hums in response. The light atmosphere trickles almost completely away.

"I think the best question to start with is what happened with you, Sakura-chan." Kakashi flips the question. He looks at Sakura, making eye contact. Sakura blinks up at him.

The eyes really are the window to the soul, she thinks.

Because what she can see in Kakashi's eyes is what she can only describe as love and promise. Sakura briefly debates looking away. But she knows better than to actually do so. She keeps his eyes.

And speaks.

"They're called the Gates of Wrath," Sakura starts slowly, "The type of Barrier, I mean. That's why there was lightning."

"You saved ji-ji's life," Naruto pipes up, briefly interrupting Sakura before being shushed by Sasuke. Sakura barely twitches at that. Terribly, it hurt to hear that someone else survived when Hibiki did not. Even when both Sakura and her echo had been willing to die to see their mission through. Sakura swallows.