Chapter Twenty-Three: Recovery

"In more than one sense of the word."

          The Hokage appears far from pleased. He has looked this way since they entered the room. Sakura takes note of this with an almost blank expression. She can feel Obito's fingers flexing around her hand, his grip firm yet gentle. It's nice to know that she isn't the only one who is nervous.

Kakashi holds her other hand. She can feel the deep suspicion twisting about his chakra, but he doesn't pull her away from Obito. It is unlikely that he will. Not unless she asks him to. He still hovers closely, however, the heat of his body warming her left arm and shoulder blade. She pokes at him with a wisp of chakra, assuring him that she is there.

Oddly enough, or perhaps wisely enough, Naruto and Sasuke are not present. Neither is Riku-ji, for that matter. She can't imagine he returned home. Not when she was taken right in front of his eyes. And even if he was kicked out of the village, he likely would have camped right outside the gates. Now that there was no one casting doubt over whether or not she wanted to see him.

Her eyes flicker across the Hokage's face, studying his expression. Again, it's obvious that he isn't happy. But after a few moments of silence, his scowl disappears into a long-suffering sigh. He pinches the weathered crease between his eyebrows, an eye cracked open. Finally, he breaks the silence.

"Sakura-chan." She feels relief at the form of address the Hokage chooses. It's a small sign that she's not in as much trouble as she thought. Not that it would make sense if she had been in trouble. She didn't kidnap herself, after all. She makes eye contact with him, repressing a shiver.

"Hello, Hokage-sama." Sakura quickly returns the greeting. She tries to sound as respectful as possible. Even if he isn't upset with her, she is in the middle of all the things causing him headaches lately.

"It is good to see you have returned to us." The Hokage comments, a genial smile on his face. It grows strained, however, when he speaks next. "There were many of your comrades out for blood in your absence."

"My apologies, Hokage-sama." It slips out before she can think of better of it. She winces. Both at her unintentional apology and the chaos her precious people must have caused. Her mouth clicks open. The Hokage raises his hand, stopping her before she can say anything else.

"There is no apology necessary on your part." The implications of exactly who owes an apology is clear in his tone of voice. And even if that were not enough, he aims a searing, intentional look at Obito. It charges the atmosphere in the room for a moment. Sakura's breath stills in her chest. Her lungs begin to burn. Then, the Hokage's expression relaxes a bit. His chin lifts to a more comfortable position, his hat tilting upward in turn. He continues, "That aside, you do not appear to be the only one to have returned to us."

Sakura bites the inside of her cheek, careful not to let any of her anxiousness show on her face. Her voice, somehow more confident than the eddies that twist her stomach, says in a firm yet quiet tone, "I am not."

The Hokage nods at her answer. But something else glints within the shine of his eyes. Something sharp and deadly. And rightfully so, it is aimed directly at Obito. She should be grateful for the protectiveness her Hokage currently exudes. Yet her heart sinks like a blade of iron through her ribs. Edging deeper with every beat.

She had forgiven Obito without much thought. Had agreed to help him scrounge up whatever kind of redemption they could manage. She had known it would involve going back home. Had known it would involve telling her Hokage everything he would believe. An interrogation, too, since Konohagakure is every bit as careful as it is kind. But the real details—what he would truly go through to find a place in this place he once called home—she can't even imagine. The cacophony in her mind tangles together until only one thought remains.