||one

I woke up to the sound of yelling outside my trailer. I groaned as I climbed out of bed, wondering who was causing such noise so early in the morning.

"What is your problem, Jimmy? Why are you drunk this early!?" I heard Ethel's worried voice demand, I moved closer to the two and saw Jimmy, a beer bottle in one hand and barely able to stand up straight.

"Nothin ma, leave me alone, I can do what I want," Jimmy grumbled, causing Ethel to sigh in annoyance.

"Look boy, get your shit together, or I can't guarantee Elsa will keep you around." Jimmy just grumbled and shoved his way back to his trailer.

"I wish I knew what's gotten into him recently." I sighed as I placed a reassuring hand on Ethel's back. She shook her head and sighed.

"I think he's having trouble with how the ordinary folk talk 'bout us freaks, 'specially now that Meep is gone" I nodded in understanding. Jimmy is blessed with the ability to hide his lobster claw-like hands with gloves, meaning he can go out to town and experience pieces of a normal life.

"Yeah, that sounds like him." It was now my turn to sigh. Jimmy and I had been friends since we were children, and having grown up in the show, caused an unbreakable bond between us. We used to tell each other everything, but recently he has been keeping to himself. "I'll go talk to him." I offered as I flashed Ethel a reassuring smile, she nodded and went her own way.

I knocked on the door to Jimmy's trailer.

"I don't want to talk." His speech was slightly slurred and came out in a mess.

"It's me, Jimmy," I said softly. "I just want to check up on you." I held my breath, hoping he would let me in. I was hit by a wave of relief when he opened the door, his eyes red from tiredness.

"I assume you heard the fight with my ma?" Jimmy sighed as he sat on his bed, hands covering his face. "I don't mean to worry her, but I'm just sick of how the world thinks of us. I mean look what happened to Meep" I sat down next to him, placing a hand on his thigh. "I was in town last night talking to a random guy and he started talking about how he thinks the world would be a better place if freaks were just killed as soon as they were born." He moved his hands to look into my eyes. "I just couldn't deal with it anymore. I almost punched him, but instead, I came here and drank all night." I nodded in understanding before pulling him into a hug.

"I know, it sucks, but those kinds of people are just ignorant. I'm sure there are people out there who don't care about me being albino, you having lobster hands, your mom having a beard or Eve being really tall." I kept my voice as soft and gentle as I could muster, trying to calm my best friend down.

"You're right Lily, I just have rotten luck of striking up a conversation with the ignorant people." Jimmy sighed as he pulled away from the hug. "Now, you go get some breakfast or something. I'm going to have a nap and sober up a bit." He smiled at me and I could tell I had lightened his mood significantly.

"See you later." I smiled back at him as I left for the food tent.

"Lily! There you are my flower." Elsa's voice echoed through the tent. "I have a new act for the show coming today, keep an eye on everyone while I'm out." She kissed me on the cheek and left, hopping into her car and driving away. I always knew I was Elsa's favourite, she had found me on the street, in a basket, starving to death when I was a baby. She took me in and raised me to be a star, like her. She was like my mother, she taught me everything I know, including how to sing.

I grabbed myself an apple and took a seat at the large table, eating it as I watched everyone else just hanging out, socializing and practising their acts.