[2]

In the silence of the moment, Jungkook noticed the record was running blank, so he flipped it to the other side and got back to work, ears perking up as the door bells chimed again.

He walked around so he could see the door and watched his statuesque best friend-in reality, his one and only friend- Kim Nam-ju glide into the shop looking like a six foot tall tornado of black clothing on fire.

Jungkook had met Kim Nam-ju on Itaewon-dong, Yongsan-gu one night shortly after he'd graduated from high school. Jungkook had recently moved into his own apartment in Yeongdungpo-gu, and even though he was too young to go into any of the clubs, he was sitting on a curb eating a bacon wrapped hot dog, which locals affectionately referred to as "street meat," when he noticed a towering pair of shiny black boots come to stand next to him.

A surprisingly deep and scratchy voice asked the vendor beside him for one with everything, and the body belonging to the shiny boots folded down to sit beside him on the curb.

"Those are huge shoes." Jungkook remarked, half to himself, as he turned to look at the woman next to him. Woman? Girl? He wasn't sure how old she was, but she was one of the most beautiful people Jungkook had ever seen.

Her skin looked as golden and smooth as a dish of undisturbed honey, and she had what appeared to be miles of fire engine red hair piled on top of her head. Jungkook self-consciously patted his own hair, which at one point had been that red, but now was a failing sort of magenta.

"These are my small shoes! Oh hey! We match!" the girl said, pointing at Jungkook's hair and shoving the end of a hot dog into her mouth. Somehow, the lipstick she was wearing that matched her hair didn't even falter as it was assaulted with overflowing globs of condiments, and she wiped the corner of her lip with a long and pointed purple fingernail as she chewed.

Jungkook stared at her in shock, watching as she switched her hot dog to the other hand, licked an errant patch of mustard off her thumb before wiping her hand down the sleeve of her dress, then extended it for a handshake.

"I'm Nam-ju."

"Nam-ju?" Jungkook hadn't ever met someone with such a dramatic name before.

"Kim Nam-ju, at your service." She moved her hand up and down in the handshake motion, and Jungkook belatedly took the cue and slid his hand into hers.

"Jungkook. Nice to meet you."

Nam-ju pulled her hand back and shoveled more hot dog into her mouth, starting to talk before she had completely swallowed.

"So these are my small heels, for when I'm dancing, not modeling. Only six inches with the sturdy platform." She stuck her foot out straight into the street, rotating it from side to side at the ankle to show off the shape of the heel as it formed into the base of an ankle boot, securely tied around a long, fishnet-covered leg.

"Wouldn't want to take a tumble." She smiled at Jungkook and he stared, completely in awe that someone like Nam-ju existed and that she was sitting on a dirty Itaewon-dong, Yongsan-gu beside him, eating a four thousand won hot dog at two in the morning.

"What do you do, Jungkook?" Nam-ju asked him, in her phone-sex operator voice. If Jungkook weren't gay, he could easily see the appeal of someone as loud and commanding and utterly beautiful as Nam-ju, but he was gay, so he appreciated her in the same way he appreciated his Bibles and his records.

"Not much, honestly," he replied, swallowing the bite he'd been chewing before he spoke. "I graduated from high school and I work at a little bookstore in Yeongdungpo-gu called Bound to Please."

"Bound to Please? Isn't that a sex shop?" Nam-ju chuckled, and her laugh was even deeper than her voice.

"It isn't, although the general population seems to think it is." Jungkook took another bite and looked down, made self-conscious from the attention this brazen stranger was paying to him.