[16]

“You won't inconvenience me, Jungkook. I work from home mostly. I sometimes go into the office, but I try to avoid it. Either way, though,” Seokjin pulled open a drawer and pretended to rummage around inside, even though his fingers were already wrapped around the item he was looking for, “take this.”

Kim Seokjin slid a brand-new brass key across the countertop to Jungkook.

Jungkook's head snapped up and he started to stutter.

“Th-that’s insane, you know that right? You don’t even know me and you’re giving me a key to your fucking house? What is your deal, dude? Are you so rich and handsome that like, real-world shit doesn't apply to you or something?” Jungkook was becoming loud.

Seokjin recognized a glimpse of the Jeon Jungkook only Kim Nam-ju seemed to see, and it pleased him immensely.

Seokjin also noted that Jungkook had called him handsome, too, and it seemed Jungkook noticed as well because he immediately clamped his lips shut.

Seokjin arched up a brow, bringing his coffee mug up for another drink.

“Rich? Yes, very. Handsome? Thank you for thinking so, Jungkook. As for giving you a key? You’re going to be living here, why wouldn’t I? What are you going to do, Jungkook? Steal my TV? Have a friend over and eat me out of house and home? What threat should I be perceiving that you think I’m overlooking?”

“It’s just...it’s just not what people do, Seokjin.” Jungkook was emphatic, and Seokjin could barely suppress a laugh.

“It’s what I do, Jungkook. Take the key. I do have to go into the office for a while today, so you’ll need it if you intend to go out.” Seokjin turned to the sink and rinsed his mug out and dried it before returning it to a cabinet above the coffee maker.

“What do you...what do you do for work?” Jungkook spoke up, but he sounded timid.

Kim Seokjin wondered what had made the real Jungkook go back into hiding. Take it easy, he told himself. Take it slow. For God’s sake, don't scare him off.

“I’m an attorney,” Seokjin said. “I run one of the largest firms in South Korea . KIM, CHANG and (&) LEE. I founded it with two friends from law school about Eight years ago.”

“Oh,” was all Jungkook had in reply to that.

Kim Seokjin wasn’t sure what response he’d been expecting, but he’d expected more than that.

“Oh?” Seokjin repeated, laughing softly at Jungkook's surprise and chagrin.

“That’s super impressive,” Jungkook said, looking flustered. “I work in a bookstore.”

“You’re still young,” Seokjin mused. “You can do anything you want to, Jungkook. Don’t sell yourself short.” Jungkook shook his head in disagreement.

Seokjin rounded the corner of the breakfast bar and put his hand on Jungkook’s shoulder, causing him to start from the contact and look up.

Seokjin sucked in a breath, already having forgotten how unimaginably round Jungkook’s eyes were.

“Anything, Jungkook. I promise, you can do anything.”

Jungkook blinked at him, mouth slightly agape.

Seokjin squeezed his shoulder before dropping his hand and forming it into a fist.

He quickly tucked it away into the pocket of his slacks.

He pulled out his wallet and removed a business card, placing it on the counter in front of Jungkook.

“Like I said, Jungkook. I need to go into the office for a while, but here’s my cell phone number. You can call me if you need anything. There’s a house phone in the living room if you need it.” Seokjin tucked his wallet away and took one last look at Jungkook before offering a goodbye and heading down the hall to the front door.