chapter 4

Camila has been thinking. Camila has always been thinking. She's always thinking for some reason and that was incredibly annoying because overthinking was not nice. Well, it's not really overthinking or anything, it was just thinking.

She's been staring at her ceiling for what, three hours now? Ever since she went back to Dinah to grab some dinner with her, she's literally had nothing better to do than think. And she wasn't even thinking about anything specifically. Her mind was just a jumbled mess of uncorrelated thoughts, project deadlines, longing for family members, and pretty girls with green eyes. Wait, no.

Camila frowned to herself as she found herself thinking back to Lauren. Needless to say, she didn't really have a strong friendship with the female. Lauren's obvious distaste towards her was testament to that. Camila couldn't fully grasp the concept though.

So, okay, Lauren didn't like her because she didn't want Camila to hit on her? Okay, Camila could deal because that was understandable. But she wasn't just going to let Lauren go on with her life with the prejudice that Camila was shallow enough to basically seduce anyone who was pretty and has a very nice ass.

Camila happened to have really high standards, hello?

She sighed, rolling her eyes to herself as she grabbed the book she was reading from her nightstand. She turned on the lamp and flipped to the current page, immersing herself immediately with the words on the paper.

Camila loved reading a lot. She might be those kinds of students that you see in almost every party and was basically a social butterfly with how well she could fall into ambient conversation with everyone, but sometimes she really just needs to lay back and be at peace with herself and her surroundings. That's why she could often be found by Dinah reading quietly in their dorm and she often teases the girl for being such a nerd. Camila would only roll her eyes and flip her best friend off before turning back to her book.

But what Camila loved most about reading was that it sucked her deeply into another world. With her vast imagination and thirst for new knowledge, she would immediately find herself engrossed with the words written on the white paper and appreciating every intricate detail expressed in there.

She liked to think that reading a book meant living another life through the character portrayed as the protagonist. Whenever she read a book, she wasn't herself. She was basically whoever the character was. And that was enough for her to stop thinking about Lauren Jauregui for once because in this book, she wasn't Camila, and she wasn't stressing about pretty girls with green eyes either. No, she wasn't at all.

-

Camila must have read the book until three in the morning because when Dinah woke her up at seven, needless to say she was grumpy and tired.

"Mila, if you don't get your ass up right now, I'm going to break into your room and literally pull you out of bed," Dinah threatened outside her door. Camila had woken up, yes, but sleep was desperately calling her to come back with how comfy her bed and blankets were. She groaned loudly and rolled over on her stomach to try and drift off to sleep again, only for Dinah to knock once more, louder this time.

"CAMILA!" Dinah yelled. "Don't make me kick this door down!"

Camila groaned again out of frustration and rolled out of bed begrudgingly. "I'm up! I'm up! Stop yelling, goddammit," she grumbled, unlocking the door and pulling it open with narrowed eyes. Dinah was standing outside of it with crossed arms and an eyebrow raised, obviously unimpressed with her. Camila couldn't care less though. She felt like she was about to pass out of tiredness. She should really not read until 3 AM when she had school the next day. Lessson learned.