Chapter 1

The West Manehattan University grounds were impeccable, to say the least. Perched atop a huge plateau of grassland just outside the city proper, it was a marvel of engineering and art. The most obvious features were the pegasus lecture theatres and labs that floated above the rest of the campus; the large bushy court in the centre, dotted with trees and a small stream, and from which the rest of the university radiated outwards along two main paths that intersected in the middle; and of course the vast array of abstract art pieces littered at seemingly random places throughout the court.

It was the beginning of a new year, and all the firstyears were nervously shuffling about and glancing at maps, occasionally gathering the courage to ask for directions. All the firstyears, that is, except for two.

The first was an earth pony with fur like pale ash and a straight mane of charcoal. Around her neck was a pink bowtie attached to a white collar. It was the only piece of clothing she wore, but it was really all she needed to wear. Every single step she took was precise and official, and despite her comparative youth she gave off the sense that she was much, much more sophisticated than anypony else there.

That's not to say she was conceited; on the contrary, she was exceedingly polite and friendly to all who dared speak with her. She directed other first years to their rooms, having already memorised the entire campus guide herself, and helped others feel more at ease in the atmosphere that was so vastly different from the high schools many of them had recently graduated from, herself included.

Her name was Octavia, and she was a cellist studying musical theory (classical), history, and, strangely enough, psychology.

The second pony was a white furred unicorn with an electric blue mane that spoke of a thousand parties gone by and a million to come. Covering her eyes were a pair of dark purple shades that hid everything and revealed nothing. She walked confidently but carelessly, nodding to a beat that nopony else could hear. Those who approached her received a grin and a hoof-bump, those who didn't could only watch in admiration as she dominated the area around her without even saying a word.

That's not to say she was controlling; on the contrary, she was extremely relaxed and easygoing whenever somepony spoke with her. She exchanged passing comments regarding bands and artists with other music enthusiasts who spotted her six hoof-bands but never stayed for long. A highschool dropout, she was here on a lucky music scholarship and knew what she was talking about when it came to electronic tunes.

Her name was Vinyl, and she was a DJ studying musical theory (modern), drawing, and, strangely enough, psychology.

They met for the first time outside of a lecture theatre, brushing shoulders as they left. Neither said a word, and they forgot about each other completely within minutes of it.

A more lasting impression was made outside a tutorial room as they waited for the tutor to arrive. Twenty three ponies, including them, were also gathered in somewhat-awkward silence.

Determined not to simply be part of a crowd, Octavia turned to face the pony nearest her, which just so happened to be Vinyl.

"Hello. I am Octavia, a pleasure to meet you," she said pleasantly, extending a hoof.

Rather than shake it, the white unicorn slugged it and flashed a smile. "'Sup. Name's Vinyl Scratch, you've probably heard of me."

Gingerly putting her aching hoof back down, Octavia shook her head. "No, I'm afraid I haven't."

"Does DJ Pon-3 ring a bell?" Her eyebrows bounced as if to jog the cellist's memory.

"No."

"You need to hit some clubs then, my music guarantees a good time."