Chapter 5

A glowing pencil twirled and skittered along the paper under the gaze of purple shades. Smooth, curving lines arranged into a certain pattern littered the entire sheet, much to the teacher's confusion.

"Are you okay, Vinyl?" she asked, drawing the attention of the entire class.

For a moment, the pencil paused in its delicate activity, and its controller raised her head off the table slightly. "Yeah."

The teaching mare hesitated before continuing, and a few of the students turned their heads subtly, also interested in the DJ's behaviour. "It's just... you've been drawing nothing but treble clefs since we began today. I know you're already quite a skilled artist, but surely you could use some practice at defining texture like the rest of us."

"Probably." Another unbroken line, swirling around and trailing off with a little flick.

Trying a different approach, the teacher brushed imaginary dirt specks from her coat to appear nonchalant. "Last week, you mentioned that you might know somepony who would be willing to model for us?"

Finally, Vinyl stopped doodling and gave her full attention. "Yeah, I haven't asked her yet. But I was thinking, don't we have, like, professional models or whatever?"

Grateful for a proper response for once, the mare smiled. "We do, but they've modelled for my class for years now and I want somepony new to have everypony sketch. It's not good to get used to drawing the same ponies over and over."

The white unicorn simply nodded and began drawing yet another of the musical symbols that occupied her mind.

But the teacher was determined not to let the conversation end that easily. Vinyl had always been one of the more outspoken members of the class, so seeing her being so quiet was worrying. "So who is this mystery mare?"

"Earth pony, grey fur."

"What's her cutie mark? Maybe I've seen her around the campus."

Vinyl subtly moved a hoof to cover as many of the treble clefs as possible. "I can't remember. Haven't known her for long."

"Well, I'm certainly excited to see her. Do you think you can convince her to come in next week?"

"Yeah, no problem."

Satisfied that all was once again right in her classroom, the mare went back to the front of the class and the other ponies returned to their own conversations and work. All except one, that is. A stallion with a narrow face and a coat of dark brown was sitting beside Vinyl, eyeing her 'work' with interest. His name was Shady Oaks, and he was the only pony brave enough to talk to a silent DJ.

"Yo, what's up with you today, dude?" he whispered, nudging her hoof.

"Nothing. What's up with you?" she hissed back, continuing to trace those silken lines.

"Wonderin' why you're being a zombie, mostly."

"Stop wondering, 'cause nothing's wrong. Don't you have some texture to define?"

Shady snuffed a laugh. "Come on, I only took this class because drawing is easy as hay and doesn't have any exams. Seriously though, what's up?"

"Don't act like we're best mates, okay? Just back off."

The earth pony shuffled away, his long black hair unfurling like a shield between his eyes and Vinyl. "Whatever. You don't have to be such a bitch about it."

"Go cry to your mum," muttered Vinyl without thinking.

Celestia, he's right... what the hay is wrong with me today?