Chapter 3

The dark coldness swept over Vinyl's body, but she didn't feel it. Her phone floated before her eyes, wrapped in a haze of white. Red lights blinked in her peripheral vision, burning the late hour into the darkness.

Her bed was soft but small, and the apartment was not much larger than it. But the DJ's mind was not on her surroundings.

{[TO OCTAVIA]}

>Hey

She gritted her teeth at the words, but after a moment she sighed and tapped at the screen.

[DRAFT DELETED]

With a groan, she rolled onto her stomach and pressed her face into the pillow. The phone hovered patiently until she turned back over for another attempt.

{[TO OCTAVIA]}

>What's up?

"It's three in the morning, I'm asleep Vinyl. You're an idiot," the unicorn mumbled in a poor imitation of Octavia's voice. A magical tendril fumbled for the delete button.

[MESSAGE SENT]

Her heart jumped with a lance of shock and she bolted upright. "No no no no no no no," she whispered. "Not now, not at this time! Damn it!"

For a few precious seconds, Vinyl maintained the hope that perhaps Octavia didn't sleep near her phone and thus wouldn't hear it go off. Sweat trickled down her brow as a minute ticked by. Just before she started to relax, a soft ringing filled the air.

"Oh buck me."

{[INCOMING CALL FROM OCTAVIA]}

"Oh, buck me!"

There was no way out of it; Octavia knew Vinyl was with her phone. She had to answer it. In her sleep-deprived state, the DJ considered not answering and leaving town so she never saw the cellist again. Saner thoughts prevailed.

Click.

"Hey," Vinyl said nervously.

"Why in Equestria are you texting me at quarter-past-three in the morning?" replied an amused yet still very sophisticated voice.

"Er, I couldn't sleep."

"So you decided to inflict your misery on me as well?"

She winced. "Sorry."

"Don't worry, I'm joking. As it happens, I cannot get to sleep either."

"Why?" Vinyl rolled over and curled up, a little smile replacing her fearful expression.

"My brain refuses to stop thinking."

"Yeah, I know the feeling. What are you thinking about?"

"Silly things. I shan't bore you with them lest they send you to sleep."

"Actually, that sounds fantastic." They shared a suppressed giggle. "Go on, tell me."

"Well... I was actually thinking about you, Vinyl."

Her heart beat a little faster. "Yeah?" she asked, hoping her voice didn't sound hoarse.

"I... You know what I said in the tavern? About... not having friends?"

"Yeah?"

"Well, I was thinking that I was so lucky to be forced to get to know you better. It's a strange feeling... having..." A quiet sniffle from the other side of the line made Vinyl's chest hurt. "I'm sorry, something about being up late at night makes me more... open."

"It's okay. I understand that, it's the same with me too," replied the DJ comfortingly, followed by an almost inaudible "Please don't cry."

"I'm okay, I shouldn't even be crying because this is a good thing. I suppose what I was trying to say is... thank you."