1

It blew my mind how everyone else seemed okay after everything. Everyone else seemed to adapt to their normal lives, but not me. I can't sleep. I can barely eat, and my shitty parents aren't making anything better.

I sit in the dark, on my bed under the covers trying to close my eyes and drift into nothingness. All I can see are those bats, those Russians, Vecna, and Max in that hospital bed. even though everything was fine now, now that the higher ups gave us a cover up story and Eddie was deemed innocent, I still feel like this fight isn't over. At least it's not in my head.

I shake. tonight feels particularly worse than the other nights. I can't stay here.
I slowly get out of my bed and tiptoe down the stairs, trying not to wake my dad. Though, that was probably impossible because he drinks himself into a coma every time he's home.

I grab my shoes by the side of the door, grab my keys and slip out the door. As I run down the cold concrete and slip into my car, I realize I have no idea where I'm headed. I just want to be with somebody.

I could go to Robins place? She's always been a great friend to me, but I can't help but worry about how she's feel about it. She'd be really worried about me and I don't need pity right now.
I could go to Nancy's, but she has a big family and I wouldn't want to wake Mike or Holly.
My last thought is Dustin, but he's a kid and he needs his sleep. I doubt he'd understand what I'm feeling right now.

It seems like my last option is Eddie.

I don't have anything against Eddie. we've hung out with each other a few times in the last few months, and even though we don't really understand each other, he wouldn't treat me differently for feeling weak. he wouldn't be overly worried and he wouldn't ask me about it if I didn't want to talk to him. I may not be as close to him as I am with Robin, but he might be better right now.

I know where Eddie's lives because I've been there a few times, but mostly because Max used to call me, asking me to come over when her mom would drink too much. We always heard Eddie on his guitar far too late. As I was driving down the road, I started thinking about how this might not be worth it. I don't want to bother him.
However, anything is better than home.
I drive through the trailer park and my breath starts to get slower.

I park in front of his trailer. His van is here, so he's here. it's 1 am. I hope he's awake.

I slowly get out of my car and close the door, and walk to his front door. I stop halfway.
This is stupid. All of this is stupid. I don't have to be here. I shouldn't bother someone in the middle of the night because I can't sleep.
I turn heel and head for my car and then I hear a door close.

"Harrington..?"

I freeze.

"Are you going to turn around or are you just gonna to stand there?"

I slowly turn around to see Eddie on his front porch with a cigarette in his hand.

"Heeeyyy, Eddie." I say, trying to act natural but he ends up looking more confused.

"Uh, hey, what are you doing here man?"

Shit I need to get out of this.

"Uhhhhhhhhh I was just, in the neighborhood, and was going for a drive that's all"

he stared at me.

Shit he's not buying this.

"Right. A drive. At one in the morning. And you're parked. In my driveway. And outside of your car." he said in a sarcastic tone, lighting the cigarette in his hand.

I sigh. "Yeah, uh, I'm going to, uh, keep driving now." I say, turning to head to my car.

"No, come here." he said, causing me to stop and turn around.
He gestures for me to stand with him.
"Come here, let's talk." he says, in a sweeter tone. I reluctantly walk to him, as he offers me the cigarette.
"Sorry, don't smoke." I say, turning him down. he nods and takes a drag.