XIII

"What might you two have done that the grandmaster would want to see you?" said Leon, rushing through the corridors. The Lionhearts were running to keep up with his zigzags through the halls. He was quite skilled in traversing the crowds.

"Sorry, could you slow down?" asked Luna, hopping every other step behind the Valkenburgh.

"Oh, I'm sorry — I forget to be considerate of others."

"Well, Regina's our mistress," said Eliona, "We must be starting our training with her."

"What?" Leon swiveled to them in a yell, "You two — disciples of the crimson witch? Just what might the Lionhearts be to her?"

"Who knows? Master Zerakiel claimed we're an experimental super soldier unit, but it doesn't feel that way."

"Is that so? It's undeniable that the grandmaster takes an interest in you. There must be something she's planning for you."

"What's it to you?" said Eliona. She wasn't so keen about others prying into their affairs.

"Curiosity."

"We're here already. Thank you."

"Don't go—"

"To the labyrinth? Yeah, yeah, we've already been to the empty floor."

"Labyrinth? What labyrinth?"

"None of your business, Valkenburgh," Eliona howled as she marched up the stairs to Regina's quarters. "Good day to you."

"I'm sorry," said Luna, giving Leon a bow, "She can be a little tough. Bye-bye now, have a good day!" She ran up the stairs behind Eliona, vanishing into a corridor leading to a celestial-powered contraption of sorts. The hall was dark, lit only by the torch above the doorframe.

"An elevator!" said Luna, running up to the gate.

"It's the first time I've ever seen one," said Eliona. Of course the rich and powerful grandmaster of the Legion of Raiders would have deployed an elevator. Its operator stood behind the gate, looking at the pair.

"Where to?" said the operator. She had black feathery wings hiding in the corner of the contraption.

"We've been summoned by the grandmaster."

"Your names?"

"Eliona."

"Luna Lionheart."

"Ah, her students! It's a pleasure," said the operator, pulling aside the gates. Their weight shifted the platform down a few inches, and the gate slammed shut behind them. "Do hold the railings, but keep your limbs inside the platform at all times. Ready?"

Eliona looked up — it was an abyss so dark, she couldn't see the ceiling. "Not really," she said, but the operator shot the platform up the elevator shaft with the drop of her hands. The girls screamed with their first ride, wind blowing their hair into their faces. It slowed until it stopped at the top of the shaft, knocking the Lionhearts a couple of inches into the air.

"We've arrived," said the operator.

"Near death," said Eliona, her knees trembling as she pulled the gate aside for Luna. "Thanks for the experience."

"You'll get acquainted with it," the gate closed behind the Lionhearts. The elevator's light plummeted into the darkness beneath them — now it really seemed a bottomless pit, and they stood before the door to Regina's quarters. There was a timid flame on a torch above the doorframe. It was just strong enough to light the elevator room, but no more. It flickered every other moment, yearning for rest, but it must've been Regina's spell over it keeping it awake. For how long were you burning, little one?