Chapter Three

Detective Okoye sat with his head between his hands in the reception area of the school. At least he was getting somewhere with the case. Whoever it was that tried to steal the question paper was the prime suspect.

   "Detective Okoye." The vice principal, Mrs Isioma, called as she carefully walked into the reception area. 

   "Good afternoon ma'am." He greeted, standing up from the chair he was occupying. The vice principal nodded while taking deep breaths. She carefully placed herself on the nearest chair and sighed. Her size made movement difficult for her and it made the detective a little guilty for calling her down.

   "I want to ask you a few questions if that is alright with you." He said taking out his note and pen. The vice principal nodded and sigalled him to continue. "How well do you know your students? The ones currently having the extension classes." He asked. She frowned in confusion. 

    "I know them very well. They are like my own children." She replied and the detective nodded.

   "Has there been any case of stolen exam papers in the past among the current set of students in the school now?" He asked, giving her a pointed look. She bit her lower lip and shifted in her seat.

   "Not at all." She replied after a minute and Okoye raised his left eyebrow.

  "Are you sure?" He persisted.

  "Detective, this school has a very high prestige and has zero tolerance for examination malpractice so no student here has ever indulged in such an act." She insisted confidently, her voice wavering a little. Okoye looked at her trembling hands and sighed. He knew she was lying but he didn't want to pressure her any further.

   "No problem. Was there any student that was against the idea of writing the mock?" He asked again. The vice principal wiped her face with her handkerchief.

   "They were all against it. The announcement was sudden. The kids were openly against it." She said and the detective nodded.

   "Thank you for your time." He said standing up. The woman nodded and gripped the table to aid her standing.

  Detective Okoye walked out of the reception room and looked around the massive school compound. He was once again in a tight corner.

     A bell rang and the students all filed out of their classrooms in groups. They were all chatting and joking around, like nothing happened. The suspect list was becoming bigger. 

8 days before the murder.

 Joy walked into the classroom with her books in hands. She looked at her classmates and sighed. They were all less concerned, like there was no mock exam in less than two weeks.

   Someone bumped into her, making her books fall. She turned to see the culprit only to see the trio that has made her life hell for the past two days.

   "Oh it's Joy. I didn't see you there." Nini said sarcastically. Joy decided not to say anything and just bent down to pick her books.

   "What was your mother even thinking when she named you Joy? I'm pretty sure she'd be regretting it now, it's very ironic." Brume spat, kicking away some of the books on the floor.

  "What are you saying? She's the principal's joy giver. The number one tattletale. Don't worry, I'll keep reminding you that I was not expelled." Gabby said before looking at her friends, "Abeg let's go. If I keep looking at her, my eyes will become sore." She said, walking to her seat. Her friends rolled their eyes at the girl picking her books as they followed Gabby.