Chapter Six

After taking note of the names of the two students in his notepad, Detective Okoye decided to check out the new CCTV camera that was found. He knew that if there was a separate camera then it would have been connected to the principal's computer.

   As he approached the admin block, he saw his partner talking with some officers there.

  "And you decided to come." He simply said, walking past the man. His partner ran after him grinning cheekily.

   "My wife just gave birth. You don't expect me to leave her in the hospital to run after a teen murderer, do you?" The man said. Okoye raised his eyebrows at his partner's knowledge. "The officers outside briefed me." The man added.

   "Jamaal, congrats on your wife's delivery but let's focus on the case, shall we?" He said and Jamaal nodded. They both entered the principal's office and Okoye headed straight to the computer on the desk. "A different security camera was found at the entrance of this building and it's not connected to the control room. Can you find out if it's connected to this computer?" He asked. 

   "Anything that has to do with computers is my specialty." Jamaal boasted. He sat on the chair and began to type on the computer. A few minutes later, he sighed while turning to face his partner. "Done. The footages were locked but I have my ways." He said, wiggling his eyebrows. Okoye rushed to his side ignoring the smug look on his face.

   "Retrieve the footage of August 28th, around nine o'clock. That's when the principal arrived in the school." He said. Jamaal went straight to the search bar and typed the date and time. A video popped up and he opened it.

   Five minutes into the video, they both saw the principal walk into the building and a few minutes later, a girl walked in. Jamaal quickly paused the video and looked at his partner.

   "Do you think she's the one?" He asked in a whisper. Okoye stared at the screen for some time and played the video. In the video, a boy walked towards the block but didn't enter. Barely a minute later, the girl walked out of the building shakily. She and the boy talked for some time and they both left.

   Okoye paused the video this time and rubbed his jaw. If the students were having their night prep, then why would a student meet the principal that late at night?

   "Officer." Okoye called the officer that stood by the door. "Call me the teacher in charge of prep. If the prep classes are divided based on gender, then call the teacher in charge of the girls' class." He ordered and the officer saluted before rushing out.

    The two detectives walked to the door of the office. A few minutes later, the officer returned with a smallish woman behind him. She looked at her surroundings in fear as she approached them.

   "Good day teacher. We just want to ask you a few questions." Detective Okoye said. Jamaal took out his notepad and pen and looked at Okoye expectantly. "I assume you were in charge of the prep class the night the incident occurred." he said and she nodded.

   "Y..yes sir. The girls' class." She stuttered and Okoye nodded.

  "After the prep started, did any student leave the class ten to fifteen minutes later?" He asked. The woman furrowed her eyesbrows on confusion and shook her head.

  "I'm not sure." She said, tapping her bag. She thought for a while before gasping. "The principal went round the classes when prep started. It was the first time he did so since he never came that late on Sundays. After he left, a student said she wanted to use the restroom. I told her we just started the prep class but she said it was urgent and I let her go." The teacher explained. Okoye nodded his head at the information while Jamaal scribbled on his notepad. The woman looked from one detective to the other before widening her eyes.