Chapter 04: The Proposal (ArmxPol Side Story)

Arm needed to change his apartment door's lock. It had become a necessity. One day he would dislocate his shoulder trying to shove it open while simultaneously shoving the key inside the keyhole.

"Do you live here or do I need to call the cops on you?" A voice startled Arm and he whipped around to see who it was.

A guy. A Cute one. A head taller than Arm. Slightly muscular. Definitely Thai. His hair was dyed strawberry blonde. He wore a black t-shirt that hugged his frame loosely and a pair of grey sweatpants. His ears were pierced and small round silver earrings were hanging from them. He had chocolate-brown eyes and pinkish lips.

Was Arm staring for too long? Shit! He was staring for too long. He cleared his throat and smiled at the handsome stranger. He was sure his cheeks were red by now.

"No need to call the cops. Just this stupid door won't budge," he said trying to remain cool.

The stranger flashed his pearly white teeth at Arm and walked closer. Arm could smell the shower gel on him. Was it coconut?

"Let me see," the guy took a hold of Arm's keys stuck in the keyhole. Arm took a step back to put some distance between them. He could feel his pulse quickening. Geez! Was he desperate or what? Yumi was right. Arm seriously needed to get laid so that he would stop fidgeting around every guy that stepped into his triangle of solitude.

"There," the handsome stranger stepped away from Arm's now open door.

Wait when did he open it?

"Thank you," Arm said politely.

"No worries," the handsome stranger held his charming smile. "I'm Ben, by the way. I moved into 14D yesterday."

Oh! They were neighbors then. 14D had been empty for a month since Pam moved into her new boyfriend's apartment in central Bangkok. She and Arm were friendly neighbors. She reminded him of his little sister who was currently living in London. He should call her sometimes.

"I'm Arm. Nice to meet you," Arm smiled. He contemplated on whether to invite Ben in or not since he helped him.

Arm wasn't very comfortable around new people. It took him a while to adjust to people before he could do things like let them into his comfort zone aka his home. But he had promised himself that he would be less awkward from now on and more open to new challenges. It was one of his many ways to get over the nonexistent relationship he had with Pol.

So Arm added, "Would you like to come in for a cup of coffee?"

Ben seemed to consider the offer for a moment and then nodded.

Arm's apartment was organized. He liked to keep things in order. There were no dirty dishes in the sink, no scattered laundry, the coffee table was organized, his bed was made neatly in the bedroom, and his kitchen counter was spotless. He remembered Pol's apartment. Exactly the opposite. Stepping inside it was like stepping inside a dumpster, minus the smell.

"Make yourself comfortable," Arm said to Ben as he made his way to the kitchen to prepare the promised coffee.

"So, Arm," Ben said. Arm could feel his voice traveling as if he was looking around the living room. Probably looking at Arm's bookshelf and its contents. "What do you do when you're not fighting with your apartment door?"

Arm thought about his answer for a moment. Should he tell him that he works for the police? Would that drive him away? If he was trouble then it was probably for the best. So Arm chose the truth, "I work for Bangkok police. Under IT department."

Ben whistled in awe. "Cool job you got there."

Arm chuckled. "Not as cool as it sounds. I basically stare at a computer screen all day and take breaks to drink stale coffee and chew plain bagels."