Chapter 18: Weakness

"Well, you seem happy," Vegas' voice snatched Pete's attention, making the boy look at him. Vegas was sitting on a chair, a book in hand. They both had been reading in silence for the past hour.

Well, Vegas was reading. Pete had given up on that task a while ago and was busy sketching in his sketchbook.

He diverted his eyes from Vegas and focused back on the task at hand. "What can I say? You make me happy."

Pete wanted to come off nonchalant as he said this. But he couldn't help it. He stole a glance at a blushing Vegas who cleared his throat at the unexpected compliment. Pete had recently discovered this new skill of his. Flirting. And he was enjoying every reaction he got out of Vegas via using it.

The other night, he and Vegas had been eating salted peanuts. Vegas complained about how his hands were covered in salt and peanut crumbs. Pete, without missing a beat, grabbed his hand and licked off the fingers. Vegas couldn't talk for a solid five minutes. It was an effort for Pete not to burst out laughing at the rude boy's red cheeks.

Pete didn't understand where he suddenly found so much courage to do things like these. But something in him reassured him that he could be anything he wanted to be in front of Vegas, and Vegas would never judge him. So he did what felt right. And so far it was going better than ever.

Pete was happy. Happiest he had been in years. He felt seen and wanted around Vegas. That was something new for him.

Vegas was spending every day of the week in Pete's room. Well, not all day. He still had to attend school and do his other daily tasks. But whenever he wasn't doing any of those, he was in Pete's room. He was accompanying Pete, helping him study, telling him about school and his day. He kept Pete company. And Pete was on cloud nine about it. He enjoyed every moment they spent together.

Last night in particular was one of his favorites.

Pete was never a fan of reading. But if someone read to him, he could keep up very well. Years later when he would discover the thing called Audiobooks, he would be ecstatic. But for now, he was very much content with Vegas reading to him.

Last night, Vegas had been reading a story to Pete. They had been in his bed. Vegas had one arm wrapped around Pete, and Pete leaned against Vegas on his non-injured side. Papers were scattered on the bed with pencils and pens. He had been drawing earlier. He had his eyes closed, soaking in every word that Vegas had spoken in his slow and clear voice. The story had been in English. So, it had taken Pete his undivided attention to understand it and analyze the deeper meaning at the same time.

It had been a tragic tale about a soldier of the Second World War and his lover, a Nobel girl who had been married to his dearest friend. It had been a tale about the right person and the wrong time.

Now and then Pete had stopped Vegas and asked him questions about a certain word or expression. And Vegas with his surprising level of patience had explained them to Pete in Thai.

One scene, in particular, had caught Pete's attention. It had been the part where the Colonel and his lover were saying their goodbyes.

“He stood in front of the sunroom. The moonlight bathed him generously through the glass ceiling.”

“‘When are you leaving Colonel?’ she asked him. He could feel the tremble in her soft voice and could almost see her tear-stained cheeks even though she had her back turned to him.”

“‘Tomorrow at dawn Mrs. Emitt,’ the Colonel said in his steady tone making sure to emphasize the 'Mrs'. Years of service made him capable enough to keep his voice even. He knew she was able to see through the facade. She was the only one who could. However, that didn't matter now. He was late and he had to pay the price.”