39 | thirty-nine

Jungkook looked at his entry from the night before and could only stare at it

Jungkook looked at his entry from the night before and could only stare at it. Maybe he should act sick. He just needed a day off from the bullying. He wanted a day where he didn't have to be hit or made fun of.

He set his journal back under his mattress before laying his head back down on his pillow, trying to go back to sleep.

Of course, the universe was against him, and suddenly, his Papa was opening the door to his room and turning on the lights.

"Hey, sleepy head," Hoseok chuckled, "time for school,"

Time to start faking it.

Jungkook let out a long whine as he shoved his face further into his pillow, "Papa," he whined, "no lights,"

"What's going on, bun? You feeling okay?" Hoseok spoke out, concerned. He went and sat next to the boy on the bed, petting his head.

"Head huwts," he whined again, this time sitting up slowly and hugging his Papa, whining into his shirt.

Hoseok's eyes widened before he picked the boy up, bringing him with him downstairs and straight to the master bath where they keep all the medicine.

Jungkook kept whining occasionally for effect.

Soon, Hoseok was giving him some pain medicine to help his headache, and carrying him with him.

"Do you have to go into work today?" Hoseok asked his husband when he found him in the kitchen.

"I just have a short meeting, why?" Seokjin replied, looking to his husband and youngest son concerned.

"When you finish your meeting, can you pick Koo up from the studio? He's not feeling well and I can't get off with the kids' comeback coming up,"

"Yeah. It'll only be around an hour at most, and then I'll head home the rest of the day. I can grab him on my way home," Seokjin smiled sadly, kissing Jungkook's forehead to feel for a fever, "what's going on Koo?"

"Head huwts," he whined, closing his eyes and resting his head on his Papa's shoulder.

"I don't want to rush you to a doctor for a headache, but if you still have it tomorrow we can go to a clinic," Seokjin spoke out, brushing the boy's hair out of his face, "for today, we can have a Daddy and Koo day until you feel better,"

Jungkook nodded his head and hummed in approval.

Hoseok was then setting the boy at the table with some breakfast and told him to eat while Hoseok returned to his husband.

"I don't think he's sick," Hoseok spoke out in a hushed tone.

"How come?"

"Whenever he's sick, he doesn't even want medicine or food at all, no matter where he feels sick. Even with a headache the boy doesn't eat or drink anything, and he gave me no fuss over taking medicine, or over eating breakfast. I think he's faking it,"

"His therapist hasn't said anything to me so I don't know if this is normal kid behavior or something else is going on," Seokjin sighed, "I'll try to talk to him today,"

Soon, everyone was parting ways, with Jungkook going to the studio with Hoseok until Seokjin came to pick him up about an hour and a half later.

"Hi Dada," Jungkook smiled softly when his parent arrived.

"Let's go home my little bun," Seokjin smiled, picking the boy up and kissing his husband goodbye.

When the pair arrived home, Seokjin took the boy to the game room upstairs before sitting him on the couch with him.

"How's your head, bun?"

"Better," Jungkook replied, snuggling into his Dad.

"I can always bring you in late to school. Lunch hasn't even happened yet," Seokjin spoke, testing a theory.

"Head still hurts," Jungkook quickly spoke out, "just not so much as this morning,"

"Jungkook, are you faking a headache to get out of school?"

"N-no," he lied.

"Baby, I'm not mad if you are, I just want to know why," Seokjin sighed, holding his son close.

"Don' like school," he muttered in reply.

"How come, love? Is something going on at school?"

Jungkook could only nod his head, lip quivering.

"What's going on, Koo? Tell Daddy,"

"C-can't... s-said it'll get worse if I do,"

"Who said that? A teacher? Or a student?"

"S-student..." he admitted quietly.

"Jungkook, are you being bullied? Is that why you've been so reluctant to go to school lately?" Seokjin asked, extremely concerned, as he got off the couch and kneeled before his son, cupping his face in his hands.

Jungkook could only nod in reply, avoiding eye contact.

"Who is bullying you?"

Jungkook shrugged in response.

"Honey, I can't help you if you don't tell me who is causing my baby to be sad,"

Jungkook shrugged again.

"Well, how are they bullying you? Is it verbal, or physical?"

"B-both. W-was just mean words at first but then they started hurting me," Jungkook answered this time, "gotta give them the homework every morning a-and they steal my books all the time,"

"Is that why last month you asked me to buy a replacement book for Joonie? Because they took the book you were borrowing?"

Jungkook nodded again, "they ripped it up..."

"And you said they hurt you? Where do they hurt you?"

Jungkook didn't say anything as he lifted his shirt to revealed his bruised stomach.

Seokjin let out a gasp as tears welled up in his eyes. He hugged his son close and proceeded to apologize profusely.

"Not your fault Daddy," Jungkook replied, himself also crying with his father.

"When we adopted you, I promised you wouldn't have to go through anything like you did with your biological parents ever again, but I failed you. I am so sorry, baby,"

"Please tell me who did this so I can protect you baby,"

"I-I can't..." Jungkook cried out, before both father and son were crying together until they fell asleep on the couch together.