Chapter 18 Recovery

Michael was recovery from a horrible accident that changed his life. It caused him to loose his right arm. The surgery site was very sore and he ached all over from the broken bones, bruises and cuts. Michael was lucky to be alive according to the doctors. 

Michael had been right handed before the accident so until the robotic prosthetic he came up with can be made and before it came be attached after testing. He must learn to do everything with his left hand and arm until then. 

It was not an easy task. But there was a few occupational and physical therapists there to help him with it.  Hannah and the others were helping with his recovery. "You are doing well Michael," Hannah said.

"Thanks Hannah," Michael said as he was doing the exercises the therapists gave him. 

"Just be careful," Hannah told him.

"I will," Michael said.

Michael was doing his best at it. There were quiet few set backs but he was getting the hang of it. He also had to recover from having casts on for a long time. He was coming a long way. He was getting the hang of having one arm.

He was even helping his friends come up with his new prosthetic and explaining how it works and such and how to put it together. 

But Michael was still worried about going outside and what others would say when they saw the empty sleeve on his right side. Or if they would stare at him and such. 

Hannah decided enough was enough. "Alright Michael get dressed we are going out," Hannah said.

"But Hannah," Michael said.

"No buts Michael you have been avoiding this for too long, you must go out in public," Hannah said.

"But what will people say or think?" Michael said.

"Who cares what they say or think?" Hannah said. "You need to understand what they say or think doesn't matter, what matters more than anything is what you think of yourself," she said.

"Okay," Michael said. 

"Then let's go," Hannah said. 

Then they headed out. Michael was a bit uncomfortable at first. He saw some people were staring. "Hannah they're staring at me," Michael said.

"That is to be expected I think," Hannah said. "Some people don't know what to say or think so they just stare," she said.

"Oh," Michael said. Then he looked at the people staring him. "Why don't all of you take a picture it will last longer!" he snapped.

"Hey no need to snap," a guy said.

"What is your problem?" someone else asked.

"Michael calm down please," Hannah said. "He's having hard time everyone this is first time in public since the accident the caused the loss of his arm so he is feeling a bit touchy." she said. "Also he lost his arm very recently about a month ago so he is still feeling a bit sensitive about it," she said.

"Sorry," the two people said.

"Sorry for speaking up for you like that Michael I know you prefer to speak for yourself," Hannah said.

"It's fine," Michael said. 

They continued to walk. "Michael there are better ways to deal with people staring." Hannah said. 

"Oh like you have people stare at you for your disability it isn't physical or painfully obvious," Michael said.

"Michael I get stares all the time," Hannah said. "People with Autism get stared at often, because they sometimes do things you might not expect. I get stared at when I rock or pace when anxious or upset, and I get stared at when I flap my hands when am excited, and I get stared at for other reasons to like always checking my food to make sure it is right and when I order the same menu item from a certain restaurant every single time and other regulars even asked me why I don't try something different," she said.