Stronger

It's been a while since Steve has had a good night of sleep.
It's been a while since he's kept down food.
It's been a while since he's felt normal.

Lately he's been feeling, well downright awful. Constant headaches, stomachaches and nightmares. Oh the nightmares. They felt all too real. It's been about three days since it all started. He'd flunked his last year of highschool and had to retake it all.
Who knew fighting evil Russians could screw you up?
But back to the nightmares. It's all so vivid. Robin and him, tied up in a small room, torture devices sprinkled through out.
He remembered being stabbed in the neck with some sort of serum. It felt good at first but as time progressed he felt bad. Very bad. Those damned Russians kicking his ass harder than any guy in school could have.
He knew they eventually got out but what if they didn't? What if he died. What is Robin died.
He'd wake up in a cold sweat and race for the phone, calling her just to make sure she was alive.
He never said anything. But hearing her voice made him feel better.
He would lay in bed and stare at his ceiling, wondering where it all went wrong. Maybe if he had stayed out of it he would have been okay. But if he hadn't intervened maybe they group could have lost a few.
He wouldn't be able to bare that.

He drifted back into a restless sleep. Sweat still pooled on his hairline and neck.
Maybe tomorrow will be different.
He always hopes it's different.
It never is.

*

He woke, gross and sleepy he forced himself into the bathroom. Trying his best to motivate himself for the water he stepped into the warm bliss known as a shower.
He always felt safer in bathrooms. Even if it wasn't his own he found a certain sanctuary.
He would mindlessly wash his body and hair, doing a half assed job. He somehow always managed to make himself look better than how he felt. He still had to use his popular guy facade at school. Especially now. His current excuse to flunking was the mall fire, how traumatic it was for his mother and 'Oh how she just needed me.' It was all bullshit. His mom was too busy with work and never gave two craps about him. And his dad was for some unknown reason upset because he lost his job.
The girls still ate up his sob story like candy.
So he stuck with it. Hoping to ride out the beast until he graduated.

Slowly stepping out of the shower he did his usual routine for his hair, four sprays of his favorite Farrah Fawcett hairspray.  While his hair was still damp of course.
Can't forget that.
He picked out a yellow sweater and some acid washed jeans that hugged his ass just the right way.
Oh Steve knew he was hot.
And he wanted everyone else to know it too.
It's all he really has going for him.
He grabbed his keys and bag, standing in front of the door so he could kick on his shoes.
Walking out he looked at his home. It's not a cozy home it's more like some castle where fun goes to die. At least when his parents are home.
Now that schools in he hasn't had a party in a while, it was the least of his worries.

He walked out of his house and hoped into his car that had housed many ladies before.
God knows what liquids have touched this car.
Driving off he remembered that the councilor had wanted to see him. Of all times after the prep rally? He wanted to go meet up with some girl but it would have to wait.

*

On the other side of this story we see Eddie 'The Freak' Munson getting ready for not his first, not his second, but his third year of senior year. He was so close to passing and if he didn't screw it up this year he could run like a bat out of hell from the shit hole known as Hawkins.
He was already rolling up to his beloved highschool when he saw Steve, hair messy but not to bad, he saw Max Mayfield speak to the councilor as Steve stood behind her. Liking if he was waiting his turn.
Turns out he was. He was much taller than the councilor. He was basically towering over her but he looked smaller than her. Metaphorically of course.
He was holding- or hugging? Himself as he spoke to the shorter woman, he barely said anything, nodding a few times and walking away.
Eddie tilted his head.
What a strange one Harrington is.
He put out his cigarette and began walking inside. Pass all the nerds, geeks and meeting up with his group of freaks.
They all walked into the gym.
But Eddie's mind was on Steve.
Why a guy like him needed a little therapy session was beyond him.
He's heard the school bimbos talk about his 'horrible' event at the Starcourt mall. It seemed like a bunch of crap to him.
Yet he shrugged it off and sat stood on the highest bleachers with Dustin and Mike glued to his sides. They were friends of the so called 'good guy' Steve Harrington. How?? That went against every law of nature! And physics too!
They babbled about how is Steve was on the team he would have made Jason seem like a baby. He didn't buy it. Why? Because if he was so good he should have been playing.
But he wasn't. It's just the facts.