Chapter 5: Castle de Martel

Arriving in France was not as simple. We were all still reeling from everything that had happened not too long ago and I reminded myself that the Originals were still a bunch of teenagers. Elijah was the steadiest voice in our crew and thus our unofficial leader. While I was practically the de facto deputy and probably even better suited for the task at hand, I still feared deviating from canon too much. I knew it was inevitable that I would change things around here, but I still preferred to keep as much as I can the same. At least in certain respect. That is, hopefully, Elijah would eventually lead them to the castle of the de Martels.

For that part of the plot, I had little care to change anything. Lucien was wronged and Aurora had mental health issues. Tristan was an ass all the time on the other hand. And yet, despite ultimately being another set of victims in the wake of the Originals, I had little sympathy for them, knowing how much trouble they were in the future. Honestly, I would rip them apart myself, but they did serve a purpose. Namely, a distraction for Mikael to lure him away from them. It was brilliant, even if cruel, since Mikael would likely be tracking them by the noise they make. Tales of bloodsucking beasts would draw attention and none of them were ready to actually fight Mikael. Besides, nobody says they have to live for a thousand years. I would make it a point to locate them and cut them down to size. A head shorter.

If they ever were going to be ready. In his mind, Cyrus believed that if they ganged up on Mikael, the Originals could take that stake away from him and shove it up his heart. The problem was not just the risk, but also the fact that they were too afraid of him to act rationally. I was probably the only one who could be level headed while attempting such a thing and I was not suicidal to do it alone.

Besides, even without my interference, Mikael will die screaming.

Medieval France was pretty basic. Like you would expect from a medieval setting, you had a bunch of castles spread throughout the land, some villages and of course Paris. Not that we visited it. We kept to the roads, looking for meals on wheels. Okay, travelers to feed from, but you get it. And ultimately, that is what we got.

As I expected, we indeed came upon the carriage, which carried the de Guise family we were about to slaughter and take their identities. As per canon, the family began arguing about posing as the dead travelers. I myself backed Rebekah's desire for it since I knew it was a good idea to go there. In the Originals, the man who would become Cyrus Mikaelson had seen their stay there as the formative years of the Originals as they mastered their powers fully and made some....acquaintances.

Knowing where Lucien was hiding, I decided to be the one to pluck him out of hiding. Shushing the others, I quietly approached the carriage and pulled out Lucien from hiding, holding him up by the neck.

"You know, it is very rude not to introduce yourself."

"Please don't kill me." Lucien pleaded.

"Sorry, but the rules are clear." In total vampire fashion I revealed my vampire face and whispered in a rather creepy voice. "No witnesses."

"I can help you out. Please. I am a servant of the Count de Martel. I was charged with leading the children of the They were going for a lengthy stay at the castle of Count de Martel. Nobody will recognize you there, I swear. I can vouch for you."

"And nobody knows what they look like?" I questioned him.

"No. They haven't left their father's domain before and that is on the other end of Francia. Not even their names are known to society yet. You could pose as them." And then he added more boldly. "But only with my help. I can teach you their customs. Their ways. Everything else you need to know."