Chapter 10: Katerina: Part 2

To fall in love with Katerina Petrova in three easy steps:

1 - See her.

2 - Talk with her.

3 - Give it a little time.

While watching the show, I honestly could not understand what exactly made the Petrova doppelgangers such femme fatales. Sure, they were hot. Undeniably so. And yet, having known Katerina Petrova for more than two weeks now, I could confidently admit that I had fallen for Katerina Petrova.

Perhaps it was magic.

Now that I think about it, I remember that Marcus guy from Season 5, aka the leader of the Travelers, who had cast a spell on the first doppelgangers so that each pair of doppelgangers would be drawn to one another. Not romantically, I suspect, but perhaps physically. It made sense, given the Travelers' needs.

But I digress.

The question was.....

How the hell did I fall in love with the one girl I should never have messed around to begin with???

I had no intention of actually talking with her. Or even meeting her.

Heck, one of the reasons why I restored the Byzantines to their former glory and conquered the Balkans was so that I could make some butterfly effect to prevent her from meeting Klaus. Have a happy life, prevent her birth or what not. But no, fate has to fuck me in the ass and not only keep Katerina coming here but also making me sympathize with her. And fall for her.

Damn it. Why am I so easy? I am a five hundred year old vampire warlord, who changes the fates of people and countries for fucking fun, damnit. I have not fallen for a girl once in this life. I have butchered towns, massacred cities, wiped out empires and bathed in the blood of my enemies. I should not be this easy.

And yet, all these thoughts were in the back of my mind. Deep, deep down.

Right now, I was busy chasing that Bulgarian minx through the massive gardens of the castle.

Yep, like fucking children.

I am a five hundred years old adult damnit. I demand self-respect.

"Won't you catch me already, my dear Cyrus? Or perhaps I am not such an alluring catch?"

Stop teasing me, damnit. I am trying to unlike you. It is not easy for me.

"You are remarkably fast for a human."

"And you are a vampire? Shouldn't you be faster?"

"You said I should chase you as a human."

"And I think rules are meant to be broken."

Oh screw it.

I vamp sped to her and tackled Katerina to the ground. The damn woman still laughing at me, while I was above her. I knew I shouldn't. Klaus meant to sacrifice her. He was meant to fail for this was Katherine Pierce - the winner of 500 seasons of Survivor before the show was even made. She was meant to become the lone vampire, jumping between the Salvatores and being jealous of Elena Gilbert, while trying to sacrifice her for Klaus. She was meant to be a tragic character.

And I....

And I.......

And I..........

I was not meant to exist.

Fuck destiny.

He leant and kissed Katerina. It was no friendly kiss. It was deep and passionate, becoming more certain and definitely reciprocated. I melted into it like ice over fire. And I suppose that is what it was. My proverbial ice melting in the face of her fire. I embraced her and slowly helped her up, not breaking the kiss between us. I did not want it to end anytime soon.

Well, fate can be a bitch. Sometimes it was also named Rebekah.

"My, my. Whatever is going on here?" My sister was the one who drew us back to reality. We separated and I divided my attention between Katerina's reddened lips and Rebekah's cold smirk.

I decided to respond maturely.

"Whatever do you think, sister?" I smirked at her and then glanced at the slightly worried Katerina. "Perhaps she is jealous."

Rebekah rolled her eyes. "Oh, please. You know my interests do not lie with the ladies."

"Perhaps they should, given those disasters you call relationships."

I had overstepped there and was almost about to apologize when she left with some choice parting words. "We are Mikaelsons, brother. We can never be happy."

"....Your sister knows how to ruin the moment." Katerina quipped.

"In her defense, Klaus killed her latest lover just a week before you arrived."

"That's horrible." There was genuine shock in her eyes and I remembered that this was still Katerina in her purest form, not yet the survivalist extraordinaire. Or at least the one that had run from Klaus for 5 centuries.

"It would have been substantially more horrible if Klaus had not compelled the truth out of the man. He had been seducing Rebekah for the chance of becoming a vampire and did not really care for her. It had been all just a pretense. Klaus turned him into a vampire only to force him to walk into the sun and burn to death."

"I am sorry."

"You have nothing to be sorry for. This is not the first time Rebekah landed on the wrong man. Probably won't be the last. Klaus may be a paranoid ass but unfortunately he has the uncanny ability to see through Rebekah's disaster lovers."

"I hope she finds happiness one day."

"She will. Every horse has a rider. Time is on her side."

Her left hand reached my face and slowly turned it to her own. "Should we talk about this?"

"What is there to talk about?" I shrugged. "I can't stop thinking about you. I think I am in love with you, Katerina Petrova."

"I feel the same way." She smiled softly, but I couldn't help but poke.

"What a narcissist!"

"Stop it!" She hit me, as much as a human can, on the shoulder but laughed that melodic doppelganger laughter that melts hearts. And when the hell did I become so sappy?!

Oh, this is hopeless.

I leant and kissed her again. "I am glad." I smiled. "Don't let it get to your head, but you are the first person to make me feel like this."

She raised an eyebrow. "Really? A five hundred year old vampire like you has never fallen for anyone?"

"Oddly enough no. I have had dalliances here and there, naturally. I am no virgin. Nonetheless, I have never felt as drawn to someone as I am to you."

And I could truly feel it. The probability of magic being somehow involved was not low. Not in this world. Although I looked more like the Eleventh Doctor than Stefan Salvatore, the medieval version. I was not a doppelganger, of that I was certain. And yet, I couldn't give this up.

I loved this feeling that I have when I am with her.

It is as if time passes slower.

I have settled my mind already but I cannot let Klaus kill her. I can't.

I refuse.

Fuck you, Klaus Mikaelson. You may yet get your hybrids, but I want this woman in my life and if you stand in my way, I will rain hellfire on you.

"Katerina.... we must talk about something. You must know exactly what Klaus wants from you."