Chapter 16: Reunited

For the first time in centuries, Cyrus felt alive. Truly alive.

It had been truly lucky for him that he could meet her again in Chicago. Pure luck and nothing else, since with all the things that have happened differently from the story he knew, this was hardly reliable.

And yet here he was now...with Katherine in his arms, knowing he finally had everything he wanted.

Well almost. He still had to get back at Klaus. And, oh boy, did he have plans for that.

"Another doppelganger will emerge and then the game begins anew." He told her. After being done with their 'celebrations', Cyrus had taken her to a lovely restaurant in downtown Chicago. The romantic he was, he had compelled the whole establishment to serve just them for tonight. Music and everything was also included and Katherine looked stunning. As always.

She raised an eyebrow. "You can't know that."

"Oh, but I do know." I smirked. "I have studied a lot on the subject over the centuries. It all originates with an old legend about the first immortals made my magic - Silas and Amara. To get back at them, nature demands the creation of their shadow selves - doppelgangers to be born with the ability to die."

"A bit petty if you ask me." She huffed. "Wait? What of the other doppelganger line?"

"Ah, about that." I grinned. "You've met a representative of that line as well. In Mystic Falls. A certain Stefan Salvatore."

"What?" she exclaimed. "Well, what are the chances? About them, by the way..."

"Don't. I am not jealous. No need for that." I stopped her before she started talking about the damn Salvatores. "As for the chances, well, I have it on good authority that some warlock spelled the first doppelganger pair to be magically pulled towards one another for some reason or other. I suppose that is where your interest in the Salvatore comes."

"Well, he is handsome." She teased.

"Oh, my. I should explode into a jealous rage and wipe that town off the map." I groaned in amusement. I loved how she teased, but I was just as good. "Perhaps I should spank you for being so mischievous."

"I am looking forward to it." She returned.

"By the way, I have discovered something else. Your own line. I think it's active still. I believe little Nadia may have had children of her own. Your doppelganger line still exists and is here, in America."

"How so?"

"Well, I managed to trace the bloodline to a family, currently living in New York - the Flemming family. No doubt one day they would produce another doppelganger and Klaus will inevitably come after them."

I knew that part was true even if I had no idea if Nadia herself had turned into a vampire or not. It was not easy to trace Nadia's bloodline, considering that I had been napping for 4 centuries of it, but apparently she had a son, who had a son who emigrated to England and took on the name Flemming. The current Maxwell Flemming was the great-great-grandson of a Puritan, who had fled to the Thirteen Colonies shortly before the American Revolution. If all goes according to the canon timeline, which apparently whatever God existed here wanted it to happen, one Isobel Flemming would be born in 19....75. I think. Yes, and Elena would be born from an affair with John Gilbert in the 90s. Just a few more decades until the show's on the road.

I still have no idea how the hell so many things happen just the way they did in the show, even with me here. A small part of me was offended that my butterfly did not make larger hurricanes, but I was otherwise happy that my future knowledge was still useful.

"You want to sacrifice that doppelganger to Klaus in exchange for my freedom?" She asked.

"No. I want to break the curse and turn your doppelganger into a vampire before they are able to procreate further and cut off the line. According to my witches, Klaus, despite his disbelief at the fact, would need doppelganger blood, living blood, in order to make hybrids. Thus, this is my revenge on the man. That is, if I can't somehow kill him during the ritual itself, when he would be at his weakest."

"You've thought a lot on that."

"Haven't you? After him chasing you for centuries?"

"Your Strix weren't much help either. They turned on each other as soon as you were put down."

"I've dealt with their disloyalty, have no fear." I shrugged, my annoyance with my subordinates returning. "I suppose they are right after all. If I don't kill someone every now and then, people forget who I am."

"I am all in. You and I, on a crusade of vengeance."

"How very dramatic!"

"I've acquired a taste for it." She said and both of us gave our glasses to the waiters, who were compelled to fill them with their own blood. Yep, I have become a real vampire boss.

"We will have all that we desire, darling. The world is ours to enjoy. Such is the beauty of eternal life."

"Cheers."