Chapter 15

Fiona

I spent another week in the hospital because my aunt was too afraid to let me go home. The doctors took numerous brain and heart scans. My brain waves were out of whack when I collapsed along with my heart. They concluded it was due to stress, but I think it was more than that. Finally, I was cleared to go home. Of course, my aunt wouldn't let me off that easily.

She was so scared that she took off work to stay home with me.  Thankfully, my apartment was huge, so I had plenty of space for her many clothes. Honestly, I think her job is a shopaholic.

"Fiona, sweetie?" my aunt placed a hand on my shoulder.

I was sitting on the couch lost in my thoughts when she came. I guess she got worried. Her hair is starting to turn gray. "I'm fine, Aunt Grace," I placed my hand atop hers.

She then placed her other hand on top of mine, clasping it between hers. "I know," she breathed. "It's just...when I got that phone call,  I thought..."

Her voice began to break. I understood. She already lost her sister and brother-in-law and considering that I know what dad is now...

"Well," she wiped her eyes, releasing my hands. "enough of that! You are better now!" she smiled.

The smile was forced, but I let it slide. 

"Why don't I make you some lunch?" she beamed.

My blood ran cold. Aunt Grace...in the kitchen...with a stove..and...fire!? NO!

"Aunt Grace," I began.

"Yes, dear?"

"As much I love you, I have to say this. Please stay away from my kitchen."

She frowned. "What do you mean? I can cook."

"No, you can't," I said blankly.

She scoffed. Her hands balling into fists. "Well, I'll show you!" 

Aunt Grace marched over to the kitchen. I tried to stop her, but it was pointless. Not a minute later, the fire alarm went off. While Aunt Grace was freaking out, I walked to the small closet under the stairs grabbing the fire extinguisher. I've invested in one every day of my life.

Releasing the pin from the hole, I held the nozzle up as I casually made my way to the burning pan. I let out the white, misty foam diminishing the flames. Once the flame was gone, I turned to my aunt with my stoic stare. She smiled sheepishly.

"Um, how about some take-out?" she asked, clapping her hands together.

I nodded, still staring at her with the same expression as before. She said something about a shower first, while I cleaned up the kitchen. When she was out of earshot, Bliss appeared beside me. "Does that happen often?" she asked.

"Yup," I answered aloud.

"She was your legal guardian, right?"

"Yup."

"Then how did she cook?"

"She didn't, the housekeeper did. I don't know how, but every time Aunt Grace is in the kitchen, something  catches on fire."

Bliss burst out in laughter. If only she knew the number of kitchen fires, then she would be dying all over again. Seriously, how does someone destroy a kitchen four times in a month?  Thankfully, she was banned from entering the kitchen. Unfortunately, she was not banned from mine, but, now, she is.

As I cleaned up the monstrosity in the kitchen, Bliss explained what happened during my pass-out time. Apparently, the whole pain in the brain and heart is the development of my powers. She's also been checking in on Donald and Gerald. They had found Caleb in a storm drain. His body had been decomposing. I couldn't imagine the pain Gerald and his family must be going through.

I have to see him. I have to make sure he is ok. After all, I did promise to be there for him. I wanted to help him search but ended up being in the hospital during his time of need. Speaking of which, I haven't seen him since I got out of the hospital. Bliss told me that he left town for the funeral. He wanted to invite me, but...I took a long sigh. I need to get these powers under check. I need to get my transformation as well as take on my role. I'll do it tonight while my aunt is asleep.

"Why don't you put a slumber on her?" Bliss asked.

"Slumber?" I questioned.

"Oh, it's like a sleeping spell that will help her sleep peacefully. That way if we make any noise she won't wake up until dawn."

Now, that was an idea. Of course, I double-checked to make sure it wouldn't hurt her, and Bliss confirmed it. All I had to do was focus on the exhaustion she had and her mind would make her tired.

About 30 minutes later, my aunt came down. She said she ordered Chinese food, and another five minutes later a delivery girl came. She handed us our food, and we gave her a tip. My aunt and I chatted for a while. And as promised, I banned her from my kitchen. When we finished eating, my aunt was yawning. I put the slumber on her. By the way, 'the slumber' is a stupid name. I'll come up with something better. Maybe...Dormir? It's french.

Anyway, I guided her to her bed. I told her I would clean everything up. She didn't fight me on it because she was so tired. I led aunt grace to her room and finally to her bed. The moment, her head touched the pillow, she was knocked out. I placed the blankets on top of her wishing her a good night.

I made my way downstairs and did a quick clean-up. Flopping on the couch, Bliss and I began our talk. How do I get my spirit form? What kind of name would be the best? My mind went back to what Bliss said about the name meaning something. A name that means something.

Memories flow through my mind. The times I spent with my aunt, Donald, and my mother. The times I spent with mom were the ones I would always cherish. Suddenly, a memory came to me. I could see a face. The face of a man smiling...at me? It was..my father...

"Melody."

"Melody," I repeated. 

At that moment, I felt a warmth. A warmth that I had never felt before. I opened my eyes to see myself engulfed in bright light.