Prologue

They say that death is not the end, but the beginning. When a person dies their spirit leaves their body and moves on. For the ones who have unfinished business, there are those who help them. Half human, half spirits who assist and protect the dead from the darkness that seeks to consume them. Spirit Guides are what they're called.

When I was little, my mother would always tell me stories about the spirit world. My favorite was about a woman who fell in love with a spirit.  Every time my mother told me this story she would seem calm and a bit embarrassed.  As a child, I never understood, but that all changed when I turned 15. 

My mother had passed away and I'd been living with my aunt for a long time.  I stayed with my sunt i graduated high school. After that, I would go to college and live on my own.

After a lot of convincing, I talked her into letting me live alone with my own apartment and everything.  There were a lot legal issues to go through, but thankfully it all worked out. 

Uncle Donald lives three minutes from my apartment, so it wasn't like I was really living by myself.

However, what I didn't know was how much my life would change.  The secrets that were hidden, the lies that were told, and that the story my mother told me was actually history.