Chapter 13

Fiona

"Dad," I mumbled, as I opened my eyes. The white ceiling, beeping of the heart monitor, and the smell of disinfectant overwhelmed my senses. I turned to see no one in the room. I guess they went for coffee. Knowing those two, they wouldn't leave me unattended for long.

I tried to sit up and found it very easy. In fact, I sat up a bit too quickly. I've been in coma for who knows how long, so shouldn't my body be more, you know, rusty robot. My arm was attached to an IV, and I was wearing an oxygen mask. I kept the IV in my arm, but took off the mask. Suddenly, I felt a sharp pain in my stomach. When was the last time I ate?

No matter how hungry I was, I had to be careful. Like I said, the way my body is....unpredictable. I was wearing hospital shirt and pants. They weren't oversized but just right. I scooted my way to the edge the bed where the bars ended. Taking a deep breath, I carefully placed my feet on the cold tile floor. My legs shook a bit causing me to wobble. I held out my arms to try and steady myself. After about a minute of stupid fighting with myself, I managed to find balance.

With a smile on my face, I used the IV pole as a crutch to make my way to the door. My legs were working fine. Again, freaky. What's even more freaky is that I have not seen Bliss at all. Maybe I because I was out for so long.

I opened the door of my hospital room, and saw that the hallway was dark. It must be nighttime. I began to wonder if the cafeteria was opened. I headed towards the reception desk following the signs. When I arrived, there was a woman working on a computer, while another had her nose in a filing cabinet.

"Um, excuse me?" I asked, apologizing for the interruption.

The ladies all looked at me. "Uh, I was just wondering if I could get something to eat. I'm really hungry."

"Of course, sweetie," the file nurse said, walking around the counter. "What's your name?"

"Fiona," I answered.

The nurse halted. "Fiona Knox?"

"Yes."

She turned to the nurse behind the computer. "Call Dr. Fallon, and her family."

The computer nurse nodded and began picking up the landline. Meanwhile, the file nurse, whose name is Nancy walked with me back to my room. I gripped my stomach as it growled again.

She smiled at me. "I know you're hungry sweetie, but we need to have the doctor look at you before we give you anything. How about some water?"

I nodded.

20 minutes later, a man in a white doctor's coat barreled through the door with my aunt Grace and Uncle Donald behind him. My aunt engulfed me in a hug, and she was crying her eyes out. I felt her tears on my back as I hugged her back.

As for my uncle, he grabbed my hand and knelt down in front of me. He squeezed it tightly.

"I'm alright, guys," I replied. "I'm fine now."

My aunt broke our hug and gave me a stare down. "Not until the doctor's looked at you."

Her eyes then darted to the doctor, who looked pretty scared. I'm starting to feel bead for every person my aunt has encountered.

When Uncle Donald calmed Aunt Grace down, Dr. Fallon began his examination. He checked my heart, lungs, eyes, ears, legs, arms, everything. To say he was shocked would be an understatement. The look on his face was of pure horror. Was something wrong with me?

"I don't believe this," he muttered, thinking no one heard him.

"What?" Aunt Grace demanded. "What's wrong with my niece?"

I'm sure she would've pounced on him if Donald wasn't holding her back.

"W--well, I don't know what to say or rather how to say it," he sputtered. "Your niece is in perfect condition or health."

"Are you sure?" asked Donald, still hugging my aunt.

"Yes," the doctor nodded. "Her blood oxygen levels are excellent as well her heart and lungs. She has some slight hesitation in her muscles but that's from not using them in a long time."

"Excuse me?" I interjected. "Long time? How long was out?"

The doctor looked at my family then back at me.

"Well?" I asked, in a more demanding tone.

Dr. Fallon sighed. "A week," he answered. "You've been in a brain induced coma for a week, Miss Knox."

I had hoped he was joking, but from the look on my family's faces, it was true. What happened during that time? What caused me to be knocked out for that long?

"I'm sure this is a lot to process, so why don't we let you get some rest, and in the morning, we'll work on discharge alright?" he said, placing a hand on my shoulder.

I nodded meekly. "Um, can I have something to eat?"

"Yes, but since you've just woken up, only have soft foods such as soup and porridge a few days, so your stomach can transition without feeling overwhelmed."

Again, I nodded.

Dr. Fallon asked to speak to with my aunt and uncle outside. I don't know what they were talking about, but my aunt walked in with a somber look on her face. I know because I glanced at her from the corner of my eye. I didn't want to look at her. Look at how I made her worry. I felt a pair of warm hands cup my cheeks. They urged me to turn my head, and I did. My aunt's brown eyes gazed into mine.

"I'm sorry," I whispered.

"Whatever for?" she asked.

"For worrying you," I answered. "I remember waking up for a few seconds before going back to sleep. I saw how exhausted you and uncle looked. I caused that."

"Oh, sweetie," she hugged me. "None of this is your fault. Do you hear me? None of it."

But it is...

"Now, listen, your uncle and I will be right back, ok?" she smiled. "We're going to get you something to eat. If you need anything, just call for one of the nurses. Alright?"

I nodded.

With that, my aunt left, but not before giving me a kiss on my forehead. I watched as they all disappeared into the dark hospital hallway.