16

Though the sun was cresting high upon a cloudless sky and the weather thick and hot, there was not another soul in sight at the refreshing Serenity Pools

Glittering crystalline water shone brightly from the force of the sun on the lightly sparkled surface, shimmering from some of the residue that must've traveled in on the wind from the Gold Sea.

Oren's grip had loosened along the walk and his hold had slid down along my arm to rest with his hand holding mine, catching the curious eyes of a few prying Sirens, but it was surely something that I would have to grow used to, I imagined.

If I stayed in Hefeta, that is. 

They wanted me to be their leader, to be as strong and powerful as Olesia had been, as intimidating as Velda had been. 

I didn't know which particular strength the third Elder, Treasa, displayed, but I was sure they'd want me to hold her qualities as well.

Was I up to the task?

The only skills I had were that of death and running, surely nothing compared to understanding the complexities of leading an entire community.

Oren tugged on my hand and we came to a stop at the banks of the nearest Serenity Pool, the water so clear that you could make out each and every pebble and rock beneath its surface in stunning clarity.

"Josephine, you know the reason that I brought you here, but you don't know everything.  Not yet."

"How could I know everything when I only just arrived yesterday and then that poor girl was stolen before we had a chance to finish our discussion?"

Oren kicked off his boots before capturing a seat at the lip of the entrance to the pool of water, and I took the time to notice his attire.

Gone was the black as night armor and twin blades strapped to his back as if he were a fierce player in a major battle that would be written about in the history books for ages to come.

Gone was the mask of false charm.  He had no need to sway me into doing whatever he wanted now. I was right where he'd wanted me from the moment that we met. 

As he'd so plainly put: he had done his job.  So then why did he feel like I was his responsibility to watch over and keep safe?

I had no emotional ties or connection to him whatsoever.  Aside from a few longing touches and moments of weakness, there was attraction between us at best.

My goal was to keep my heart guarded, and I had accomplished in that task.  I always kept it under tight lock and key.

Except when it came to Peter.

Pushing my fallen love to the back of my mind, I took in Oren's relaxed shape as he observed the atmosphere around him.

"It's quite a beautiful day, Princess.  Why don't you join me?"