Chapter 5: Cry Wolf

"What do you think he's dreaming about?"

"I don't care. He's drooling on our pillows."

"I think he's dreaming about puppies."

"Puppies?"

"Guys that act all big and bad like him are always huge softies on the inside. I wouldn't be surprised if he dreamt about puppies."

"He'd look like the type of guy to kick a puppy much less dream about them."

"Unless he is dreaming about kicking a puppy."

"I can actually see that."

Derek opens his eyes groggily after listening to the conversation that had ensued. He blinked a few times to get his bearings and looked up to see Ruby and Jade standing over him. Ruby smiled and waved at him while Jade looked completely unamused by his presence.

"Hi, Derek." Ruby greets.

"Uh...hi." Derek says.

"Don't you have another couch to drool on?" Jade asked in annoyance.

Derek looked down at the two pillows he was sleeping on and saw the puddle of drool.

"Sorry." Derek nonchalantly apologizes as he gets up from the couch and he looked around their house, "Where's Elizabeth?"

"She went on her morning jog." Ruby replies.

"I have a question," Jade says sarcastically raising her hand, "Good sir, why the hell are you in our house and when will you, respectfully, get the fuck out?"

"Elizabeth said I could stay here." Derek replies as he smirks, "And she said I could stay as long as I wanted."

"That's...perfect." Jade says with a strained smile and through gritted teeth.

Honestly Jade wanted to slap the smirk right off his face and considered using her claws whilst doing so and Derek could tell she was annoyed by his presence and she didn't want him around, but that just made it all the more entertaining for him.

Ruby looked between the two of them and decided to cut the tension before it got violent.

"Oh, look, breakfast." Ruby said pointing to the food Elizabeth had left for them on the counter and she draped her arms over both their shoulders, "Let's eat, fam."

~

Meanwhile, over at the McCall household, Elizabeth sits on the house's porch with Melissa. The two had been talking for a while and Elizabeth found herself smitten with the woman next to her, even if she was regaling her on her hospital horror stories. She found that the woman was able to completely catch her interest and she was enamored by everything about her.

"So he tells me to take over for him and leaves to take a call, but I was just starting out so I had no idea what I was doing at the time." Melissa explains.

"He decided to take a phone call in the middle of a surgery?" Elizabeth asks in surprise.

"Right! What kind of crackpot opens someone up then leaves to take a phone call as well as handing the scalpel to a student nurse?" Melissa asked still baffled by the whole experience.

"So, what did you do?" Elizabeth asks.

Melissa smiles sheepishly, "You're gonna laugh."

"I would never laugh at you." Elizabeth says truthfully.

"Never say never, because what I did next is a real doozy." Melissa says and Elizabeth smiles expectantly, "I, kinda, googled my way out of it..."

"Kinda?" Elizabeth asks in amusement.