The Primordial (MX)

"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth..."

"No, they didn't!"

Yeah, that's how this is starting.

"Lucas..." His teacher sighed. A few kids were snickering. "This is the fifth time you've interrupted me this week. Every time we reread the bible, you always interrupt me right at the start. Why do you do this? Why do you seek attention?"

"I'm telling you, Ms. Brooks," Lucas said. "All this stuff about God creating the earth is nonsense. Where's the proof, huh? Do you have a picture or video of god?"

Brooks sighed. "There's no legitimate proof of god existing, but-"

"See, there it is!" Lucas shouted, cutting her off again. "You have no proof he exists, therefore, you have no proof he created the earth or heaven. No proof? Didn't happen. Simple as that."

"If you don't know if he exists, then why are reading that dumb old book filled with events that never happened? It's not canon. It's like some weird fanfiction or something." Lucas said.

Lucas, despite being only eight years old, was pretty... self-aware in a sense. Essentially, he acted older than he was. The instant his parents talked about Santa or the Tooth Fairy, he wouldn't believe it. He asked for proof of their existence, which they naturally couldn't give. Instead of being, to put it bluntly, stupid like every other eight-year-old was, he just wasn't. He was more of a teenager than a toddler.

And most of all, he didn't believe in god. Never has, and vowed to never be swayed until real proof came of his existence. And if proof of God's existence never shows up, then he'll never believe in him. Simple as that.

But having this type of mindset wouldn't fly in a Catholic School. Not his anyway. For some reason, his school wanted him to believe in god. They have shown themselves to be very pushy and almost forceful when converting kids like him to Christianity.

His parents weren't that much better either. Not as bad as the school, but still bad. Every time they had dinner, they had to say a prayer. Say a prayer, not just pray.

His mother would be first, then his father, then himself. He would have to make something up before they ate. Every day. And if he didn't say anything, his parents would be very disappointed. Not enough to not let him eat, but their facial expressions would hurt him slightly. He didn't like seeing them upset. So he makes something up and then can eat.

But it wasn't terrible. Sometimes, he'd find ways to make his religion-filled life more enjoyable. During the bible reading at the beginning of the school day, he'd always argue with his teacher about if god existed. It was a fun way to burn time. But today was different.

"Y'know what? I'm not doing this back and forth with a child. Go to the principal's office."

"For what? Being right? You're a bit immature. And here I thought I was the child." Lucas replied, earning an 'oooh' from the class.

"Go to the principal's office."

"I mean, cmon-"

"Go to the principal's office."

"I-"

"Lucas, go to the principal's office."

Lucas let out an exaggerated sigh and walked toward the door. Just before he left, he shouted, "Have fun reading that stupid book, suckers!" He slammed the door loudly, making some of the students jump. Brooks grunted and got back to reading.

While on his way to the principal's office, Lucas began to think. 'I probably shouldn't have done that. Today's my birthday, and I might not get that super cool Mario game if Mom and Dad found out I annoyed that teacher again.'