𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 10 : 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐒𝐍𝐎𝐖𝐁𝐀𝐋𝐋

"every breath you take i'll be watching you

"every breath you take i'll be watching you."

─────────

Hopper met Owens at a bar, sitting in the booth with him. He unzipped his coat, putting it next to him.

"Chief-o."

"How's the leg?"

"Better. Pretty sure my football career is over," he said as they both lightly chuckled. "Hey, you want some of this? No way I'm gonna finish it."

"No. I'm, uh... on a diet."

"Well, you're a better man than me. Hey, got a little something for you. Well, two little something's for you."

He handed him two envelopes. He opened one, and saw an adoption certificate. "Jane Hopper." He then opened the other one, and saw another adoption certificate. "Jennifer Hopper."

"Congratulations, pops."

"I thought—"

"Sometimes I impress even myself. Still, I'd let things cool off for a while, if I were you."

"How long is a while?"

"Want to be safe? I'd give it a year?"

"A year?" Hopper questioned as he took a bite out of the other half of the sandwich. "What about one night out?"

"One night?"

"Yeah. How risky would that be?"

"What's so important about one night?"

-

El entered their shared bedroom to find Nina sitting on the bed, looking worried. "Hey," El said with a warm smile, "I can see you're feeling a bit worried about the Snowball. But don't worry, I'm here to help you get ready and make sure you have an amazing time with Lucas."

Nina nodded, a mixture of relief and gratitude evident on her face. "I just want everything to go smoothly," she confessed. "What if I mess up while dancing with him?"

El sat down next to her and placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. "You won't mess up," she said firmly. "You've been practicing your dance moves, and you're a good dancer. Just trust yourself and let the music guide you."

Nina sighed, "I know you're right, El, but it's just scary."

"I know, I'm scared too," El replied, giving her sister a comforting squeeze. "But remember, Lucas likes you for who you are. He'll be happy to dance with you."

"Thanks, El," Nina said, feeling a bit better. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

El smiled warmly, "That's what sisters are for, right? Now, let's get you all pretty up for the Snowball!"

They spent the next hour getting ready together, with El helping Nina pick out the perfect dress and accessories. They laughed and reminisced about their past few months, bonding over shared memories.

"You're beautiful inside and out," El said, looking at Nina. "Lucas will be lucky to have you as his dance partner tonight."

Nina blushed but grinned at her sister's compliment. "Thanks, El. I feel better already."

With the finishing touches in place, El stood back and admired her twin sister. "You look very pretty," she declared proudly. "Now, let's head to the Snowball and make some unforgettable memories."

Nina hugged El tightly, feeling grateful for her twin's unwavering support. "I couldn't have done this without you," she said sincerely.

"Okay, girls, let's go," Hopper called out from the living room. They walked out, Hopper smiling at his daughters.

-

"Have fun, okay? I'll be here the whole time."

"Okay," El said, getting out.

"Thank you," Nina smiled as she got out.

They walked inside, looking for their friends. They saw Max dancing with some random guy who went to the school, saw Will with some random girl, and saw Mike and Lucas sitting at the table, alone.

As Nina entered the venue, she felt a mix of excitement and trepidation. The gym was beautifully decorated with twinkling lights and shimmering decorations. The music played softly in the background, setting the mood for a magical evening.

Nina's heart skipped a beat when she spotted Lucas across the room, looking good in his suit. He was sitting alone with Mike. Seeing him like that made her heart swell, and a sense of calm washed over her. Maybe dancing with him wouldn't be as terrifying as she had imagined.

She saw as Lucas looked up and saw Nina. He smiled warmly at her, and all her worries melted away. He walked toward her and forgot about Mike, figuring he would see El by himself. "Every Breath You Take" by The Police started playing, and Lucas knew that he had to ask Nina to dance.

"Would you like to dance?" he asked, extending his hand towards her. Nina hesitated for a moment, then smiled back, taking his hand in hers.

As they moved to the rhythm of the music, Nina's initial nervousness vanished completely. Lucas was an excellent dancer, and his easygoing nature made her feel at ease. The more time they spent together, the more Nina realized that Lucas was not just a crush but also a genuinely kind and wonderful person.

"It's nice, right?" Lucas asked.

"Yeah," Nina smiled.

They smiled at each other, enjoying this moment. Without hesitation, Nina leaned in, kissing Lucas. She pulled back, smiling brightly at Lucas.

He knew then, that her smile was his favorite thing in the world.

"Nina?" He asked shyly.

"Yes?"

"Will you... Uh... Will you be my girlfriend?"

Nina smiled. "Yes. Lucas, I would love to be your girlfriend."

And they danced the night away. Happy.

 Happy