{9} our new lives

Suddenly, I feel my eye lids grow heavy as everything that's happened catches up with me. I slowly lean my head against Newt's shoulder, closing my eyes and letting sleep take over.
____________________

I open my eyes as Newt gently shakes me, waking me up. I look around and see that everyone except Thomas is up, listening to one of the men that saved us from the Maze as he gives out instructions.
"Once we land, you kids need to get out as fast as you can! We have men on the ground that will direct you where to go! Everyone got it?!" he hurriedly shouts over the helicopters loud propellers.

We all exchange nervous glances before nodding our heads, unsure of why we need to practically run for our lives.

I look out the window of the helicopter, noticing it's pitch black outside, meaning we must've been flying through the desert for a couple of hours. Below the descending helicopter, theres an enormous compound, hundreds of lights shining from it, lighting up the area in front of the massive building where people are waiting for us.

As soon as we land, the helicopter door is slid open and a man that's face is covered with cloth and goggles begins to shout out orders, a larger gun firmly grasped in his hand. I follow his directions and quickly clamber out of the helicopter. Minho wakes Thomas up as everyone else climbs out after me.

"Come on! Follow me!" one of the men yell, motioning for us to follow him.

I rush after him, stumbling through the sand, before turning around as multiple shrieks come from behind me.

"Cranks!" one of the armed men shouts before shooting into the darkness, the others doing the same. I frown, seeing nothing until figures suddenly start to climb over the sand dune, the moonlight behind them making them silhouettes.
The men around me continue to shout out orders while they shoot at the people rushing towards us out of the darkness.

Newt grabs ahold of my arm as he passes, pulling me along as the soldiers guide us to the large compound. Guards run past us, away from the building as we run towards the large doors.

Our group stops once we're inside the compound, the doors beginning to close. Thomas slips in just before the doors finally shut, blocking out the gunfire and shouting from outside.

I look around the compound in awe, people frantically rush around the enormous building as a blaring alarm continues to go off, but nobody seems to be paying any attention to us.

Suddenly, a man sprints up to us. "Kids, we need to get you out of here. Follow me, now!" he orders, turning around.

Just as Thomas is about to question the man, someone roughly grabs my arm, moving me and my friends forward. I yank my arm out of the guys grip, moving closer to my group as we walk fast, following the first man through a hallway before he stops and pulls open a door.
"Get inside! Hurry, hurry, hurry!" he shouts, ushering us into the room.

The men that were grabbing us, shove us all inside before blocking the door.

"Wait! Whats going on?" Thomas angrily shouts at the men.

"It's nothing we can't handle." the leading man replies as he quickly shuts the door in our faces.

I turn around, standing frozen in shock beside Newt and the others, my mouth hanging open as I stare ahead. In front of us is a large table filled with many different kinds of foods; chicken, rice, mashed potatoes, tons of different vegetables and fruits, bread and so much more.

Thomas continues to pound on the door, demanding to be let out and given answers, not even noticing the display of food behind him. I wordlessly tug on his sleeve, getting him to turn around and stop shouting.