{10} still our enemies

I pull the thin covers over my shoulders and get comfortable, tiredly closing my eyes as sleep takes over.
____________________

The wake up routine this morning was about the same as usual. Since we're in a different environment, Minho found a brand new way to wake me up. Today he chose to go against what the others were saying and poured water on my face, which resulted in him getting his ass beat by me.

After that, we all began to get ready, needing to share the bathroom to get changed and freshen up.
I grab a navy blue long sleeved shirt and black pants from a locker, then sit on a bed while I wait for my turn in the bathroom.
As I wait, I notice Thomas anxiously staring at the ground, running his hand through his hair while tapping his foot. I can immediately tell somethings up.

But before I can ask him what's wrong, Newt walks out of the bathroom.
He nods his head towards the door. "You're up."

"Thanks." I mumble, grabbing my clothes and walking into the bathroom.

•••

I sit down at the cafeteria tables with my friends after we grab a tray of food, sitting at the end of the bench beside Thomas. Just before we left our room this morning, he told us about something strange he had seen last night, so now it's all he's worrying about.

"Thomas, what you saw might not have even been what you think it is." I tell him quietly, trying to keep my voice down so no one else can hear our groups conversation.

He shakes his head. "No. They were obviously bodies. Anyone could notice that, even Minho."

"Hey, what's that supposed to mean shank?" Minho huffs. "I'm as smart as the rest of you, if not smarter."

"Oh, if that's the case then I'm a Griever." I quip, smirking and rolling my eyes. "If we're throwing lies out there."

Minho glares at me from across the table as everyone snickers, well everyone except Minho and Thomas.
I immediately stop as Minho kicks my shin underneath the table, hard. I clench my fists and slowly breathe out between my teeth, trying not to react.

"You shank." I growl, glaring at a smug looking Minho.

Before I can retaliate and kick him back twice as hard, Janson clears his voice at the front of the cafeteria, getting everyone's attention before he begins to call names off his clipboard.

After a couple people are called, we start to ignore him and get back to our conversation from earlier.

"I need to find out what's through that door." Thomas mumbles.

"We've been over this." Newt whispers. "You told us that they were covered up, so you don't know what you saw. It could've been anything under there."

Thomas once again shakes his head. "I know exactly what I saw. They were bodies." he firmly states. "Aris said they bring a new batch in every night."

"Who the shuck is Aris?" Minho asks in a hushed voice.

Thomas looks past Winston, nodding in that direction.

I look with the rest of the group, seeing a boy in a hood sitting in the corner of the cafeteria by himself. I raise a brow as I watch him inspect his cornbread. Oh yeah, let's trust the loner kid that acts a bit off.

Minho turns back to Thomas. "Well, I'm sold." he says sarcastically.

"Yeah, he doesn't seem weird at all." I add, looking back up to Janson as he finishes calling names.

The kids in the cafeteria unenthusiastically clap, most of them disappointed that their name wasn't on todays list. After Thomas told us what he thought he saw, I've become a little skeptical so I'm definitely in no rush to have my name called. I know Thomas wouldn't lie to us, but I can't help but think he might be a little too paranoid about this place.