Chapter 6: Reintroductions

As I quietly closed the gap in space between myself and the noisy argument ahead, I took the time to analyze the situation. The man ahead of me had silenced his first opponent, but a new challenger had arisen.

A cute girl, of similar age to me, and wearing the same uniform that both I and the boy she was arguing with were clothed in. It was likely that we would both be attending the same school.

I didn't want to be noticed by the other boy yet, so I consciously silenced my footsteps and focused on listening in to their argument as I slipped between passengers on the crowded bus.

"If you give up your seat now, I think it would contribute enormously to society." The girl stated. Her argument wasn't unfair, she simply neglected to consider the possibility that-

"Unfortunately, I have no such interest in contributing to society."

Taken aback, the pretty beige-haired girl ahead of me seemed to have trouble finding anything to say in response to his utterly self-centered statement.

Really, the overly-muscular teenager ahead of me hadn't changed a single iota from the overly-muscular boy I had met at a party, years ago, I noted with some vague amusement.

Regardless of my observations, it was clear that the new girl was making no progress with her persuasion attempt either.

Well, then.

My turn.

As the boy shut his eyes again so as to better focus on the incredibly important task that was ignoring the pleading girl in front of him, I quietly nudged my way over to her side.

"Eh?" She jolted in surprise once she suddenly became aware of my presence. "I didn't see you there, where'd you come from?"

"Let me talk to him real quick."

I neatly sidestepped her question in favor of the more interesting person sitting down in front of me.

The seated boy lazily, unhurriedly, ever-so-slowly cracked a single eye open to regard the next nuisance who planned to interrupt his comfort.

I fixed my own gaze on the center of the one eyeball that had casually peeled open in my direction and stared.

Rokusuke Koenji gasped quietly and jolted upright, both eyes snapping open as he immediately focused his full attention on me.

"Ayanokoji-boy?" He wondered out loud. "What an... Unexpected surprise. Perhaps after this bus ride is complete, I shall grace you with a reunion."

The underlying question behind his sentence was glaring. He wanted to know the details about my presence here. Personally, I wondered how much he actually knew about my... Unique circumstances. I was aware of the fact that his family's conglomerate was influential, but the full extent of his ability to utilize the company's resources was still an unknown factor.

Regardless, I didn't particularly want to wait. There was a time for patience, and a time for making people do what you want.

"How about you head over there real quick?" I gestured towards the back of the vehicle aimlessly. "I'll catch up with you and we can have our conversation then."

"Besides, you're being a bit of a nuisance." I also pointed out.

"Hohoho, Ayanokoji-boy! Should I remind you of my lifestyle?" He chortled. "I care not for the opinion of the common masses, because I am a perfect being! It matters not whether the dirt below my feet considers me to be a nuis-"

"A bit of a nuisance to me" I cut him off. He grimaced slightly at the questionable implications of the statement.

I decided to explain myself a little more to him.