Chapter 4: A Fine Line

My dearest family,

I write to inform you that I have arrived safely in Asheville and established myself in residence on the Biltmore Estate. The trip was tedious, but I found all the accommodations satisfactory, even a bit opulent aboard the steamship.

America is a large and varied place, and I have only seen a small corner of this vast nation from the window of a train. The Appalachian mountain range in North Carolina is a beautiful place full of heavily wooded forests and coursing rivers. I shall enjoy my time here, I believe.

I have become acquainted with Herr Schenck, my direct supervisor, and Herr Vanderbilt, our employer. He seems a kind and gracious man with a great vision for his property and holdings. It seems the lush wilds of America are being depleted, but Herr Vanderbilt has the foresight to be conservative with the lumbering and other profits, preferring regenerative forestry. I see why Herr Schenck (Carl) sent for another German forester, as the skill is not well known here. Carl has established a school of forestry where he teaches local men the ways of the woods, but he is also now teaching me the ways of the Biltmore Estate - the staff, the owners, the locals, and all. There is a lot to take in, as I'm sure you can imagine.

My residence is comfortable. I am not in the main house nor the standard servants' quarters but sharing a hunting chalet with Carl on the edge of the house property. He is soon to be wed and will move with his new family to town, so I shall have an entire house to myself! As you can see, the Vanderbilts are generous and kind thus far. I am glad to have made this journey. There is much for me to learn and do, so while I am busy, I shall also prosper here.

My love to you all, but especially to Mother and Minna. Please enjoy the gifts from America and write back when you are able.

With love,

Johann

*****

Johann read over his letter in the morning light coming through the window in his cozy room. He winced at the overly formal tone, but it was the best he could do. After a moment he folded the letter and set it into the small parcel full of postcards, honey, and small gifts for his family gleaned from the stops along his journey. He would travel into town to post it tomorrow and take the chance to explore the streets of his new home. Today he would go out into newly-purchased acreage with a scouting group to see what possibilities the woods held for them, surveying and measuring trees.

He turned to the mirror that hung in his cozy room in the chalet and examined his reflection. Looking back at him with piercing grey eyes was a modestly well-dressed, tidy young man. His light brown hair was short and easy to manage, very similar to the styles of the Vanderbilts and other professionals he had observed.

He had been proud of this sharp look when he left home, but Johann realized that he had a fine line to balance upon if he wished to command the respect of the lumber men and rural land-owners as well as the upper crust businessmen and politicians who make decisions about the land.

Johann frowned and cursed under his breath. When he compared himself to most of the working class men he'd met since reaching America, his skin was smooth and pale, his face still bright with youth and unworn by labor. Bright-eyed and in this suit, he looked the part of an student, a dressed-up child more than a man.

Perhaps I shall grow a beard like Carl and see if that will help, he mused. I am stronger than I appear, but I must labor in the forest alongside the team and grow my skills and rapport with the working men.

Johann looked away from the mirror to avoid seeing the blush rise in his cheeks. The mere thought of close camaraderie with the lumber workers whose muscled bodies were like sinewy tree trunks made him weak in the knees. He closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and returned his thoughts to the list of things that must be done, determined not to let his troublesome passions to undermine his new responsibilities.

He moved over to the heavy wooden dresser that held his recently-unpacked clothes and pulled open a drawer. The smell of cedar was lovely, and he savored the scent as he chose his work clothing. His cotton shirts and canvas trousers were crisp and new, but they would soon show the efforts of his work, as would his slender frame. It was time to get dressed and get to work. Off with the suit, on with the gear - it was time to get his hands dirty.