Chapter 5: The Meeting

On the day that Johann met Cole, the forest was dense and sparkling with rain. The clouds rose like ghostly wisps from the tops of the majestic trees, smoky kisses rising and condensing in the heavy skies above. His boots made a soggy, crunching noise on the sodden leaves as he picked his way through the dense forest stands of rhododendron and briars. Johann took a few deep breaths, feeling a strong sense of satisfaction stirred by the lungfuls of humid oxygen and knowing that he was sharing his breath in a perfect cycle with the trees around him. This moment was perfect - finding the sense of unity he sought with the forest while his relationship with this place was still tender and new.

Johann had been wildly busy for the first few months of his apprenticeship with Carl and the Biltmore holdings and had much to show for his efforts. His English had improved dramatically, although some deep Appalachian dialects were challenging to understand without help. He had chosen well in deciding to grow facial hair - his well-trimmed beard helped to hide his baby face, and he liked the look of it when he checked himself in the mirror. Time spent hauling wood and cutting trees with the forestry students had built his confidence and earned him a lithe, muscled physique that moved with the grace of a cat.

Time among the trees and creeks had always been a balm to his soul, but now it was a welcome respite from having to talk business with Herr Vanderbilt or listen to Carl complain about everyone and everything. In this place, he could drop his facade of efficiency and confidence and find his true self away from other people. Johann let the forest guide his steps as he explored the newly-acquired acreage. He had volunteered to make this initial foray into the woods alone instead of bringing along a few forestry students as usual. Carl was concerned for Johann's safety as there was often angry local folk who were not pleased with the land-grabbing Biltmore Estate, but he insisted that he was not afraid and wanted some time among the trees. Bemused, Carl agreed but demanded that Johann return safely, as apprentices of his quality were not cheap nor readily available!

Early spring in Appalachia was a glorious sight, although the heavy rains made for a sodden journey. Johann stopped daydreaming when he heard trickling water, a distinctly different noise than the incessant plopping of raindrops from leaves to the wet ground. Johann made his way slowly towards the song of water over stone, listening for scurrying footprints or the flutter of feathers. He crouched behind a stand of laurels and watched the stream for a moment, checking for deer, bear, or other forest denizens.

So rapt was he on the beauty surrounding him that the sudden voice from behind made Johann jump out of his skin.

"Morning."

Johann turned quickly around to see a young man standing on a rise behind him, leaning against an oak tree trunk. He was a stocky fellow with brown, shaggy hair. His shoulders were broad from heavy work, and his clothes were simple and worn. A wide-brimmed hat was tilted far back on his head so that Johann could see his face, but he squinted as a sudden shaft of sunlight illuminated the stream bank. In a manner somehow both tense and yet languid, he shifted to face Johann directly and crossed his muscled arms.

"Ah, good morning! I did not hear your approach. You gave me some surprise," Johann stammered, painfully aware of his accent and awkward phrasing even as the words came out. He cursed inwardly, frustrated that he had not heard the approach of this stranger in the forest. There was no reply from the young man, who continued to stare at him grimly. Johann noticed a rifle leaning against the tree next to him and recalled Carl's warning about some of the local folk. He met the eyes of the man, coughed politely, and continued, "Er, can I help you?"

"You lost?" The sharp gaze of the young fellow was unwavering as he watched Johann. "I am not lost, friend. But I am new to this place. I mean no harm." Johann squared his shoulders and faced him, his cool grey eyes meeting the penetrating green eyes trying to burn holes through him. "I am here to learn the ways of this forest. I am called Johann."

"Yeah, I thought so. You're surveying for the rich folks who are buying up all the land. You one of them Vanderbilts, Johann?" The stranger spat on the ground after saying the name, a sneer curling his upper lip as he regarded Johann cooly.

Johann swallowed his nerves, determined to put his most confident self forward in front of this handsome, angry fellow. "I am in the employ of Herr George Vanderbilt, who has just purchased this land. I am here to survey, but more than that, I am here to become acquainted with this forest." He paused, trying to find a way to explain his intentions and keep this conversation from escalating dangerously.

"If this forest had a hand, I would shake it and introduce myself, but alas. Will you stand in its stead?" Johann extended his hand to the serious fellow, his arm tensed to hide his slight trembling.

There was a moment of silence as the anger on the face of the young man vanished and curiosity took its place. He cocked his head and his lips curled in a lopsided grin. With one smooth motion, he grabbed his rifle and slid down the slope towards Johann before closing the distance between them with a swaggering walk. He wiped his right hand on his overalls before clapping it into Johann's outstretched hand and gripping it firmly.

"I'm Cole, Cole Sluder." Cole searched Johann's serious face a moment before continuing. "Y'know, there isn't much else you coulda said that would have me down here shaking your hand." He looked down at his boot as he kicked at a small stick idly. "You see, this is - was - my family's land and has been for generations. I grew up here, running these woods, and I spoke against the selling of it to your bossman."

Johann nodded automatically. He heard what Cole said to him, but he could not immediately reply. He was distracted by the warmth of the rough palm clasped in his and utterly lost in the brilliance of those eyes as they took him in. He followed the map of the deep-set laugh lines that appeared on the wide, tanned face before him. Johann broke out of his reverie with great effort and released Cole's hand.

"It is a - a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Cole Sluder. I do not blame you for being suspicious of strangers in your forest nor for your bitterness at its loss." Johann chose his words carefully.

"I know it is not the same as having stewardship over it yourself, but I hope that I can offer you some reassurance. I have known Herr Vanderbilt for but a few months, but I can attest to his desire to keep the forests under his care healthy and growing and as untouched as possible." Johann looked upwards towards the canopy of tree branches with unabashed appreciation. "I feel the same way, which is why I work for him, and why I am out here alone today. As I said, I desire to meet the forest and to know it well, to become old friends. These mountains and lands of Appalachia are the most beautiful place I have ever seen. I am honored to care for these woods as a forester, not motivated by greed nor bankrolled by lumber companies."

He looked back down to see Cole smiling at him with an appreciative sparkle in his eye. "Hmm. I'll keep that in mind. Maybe it is as you say." The grin grew mischievous. "You say my name differently than I've ever heard it said before. And say 'Appalachia' again!"

As Johann felt his cheeks grow red, Cole laughed and clapped him on the back. "I ain't making fun of you, Johann, I swain! I like the way it sounds when you talk." Before Johann could swallow his embarrassment and sort out what to say in response, Cole stepped back and looked at the forest surrounding them, seemingly considering something. "Look, Johann. I have to get going. If you're aiming to spend nights out here alone, just watch yourself. There are wild tales told about this place, so keep your fire going and your wits about you. There's a nice clearing just about a mile that-a-way that makes a nice camp." He tipped his hat. "It was nice to meet you. I'm sure I'll find you again sometime."

At that, Johann smiled, and his eyes lit up. "Thank you, Cole Sluder. Perhaps we shall meet again, and you can share these wild tales with me. I have fireside tales of my homeland to tell. Be well." He nodded and gave a small wave, his heart fluttering in his breast as he watched Cole head back up the rise in the direction he had come from, whistling a tune as he went.