1. Haven

20 Years Later

The perfect image of an immediate family stood upon three pillars, a father, mother, and child. Growing up in the village Asher had seen many families with such a dynamic. He had watched families start and grow, the members learning and evolving with time. They grew older, got closer, shared experiences, and formed bonds that would never be broken. Should never be broken.

But they were. All of the time.

When Asher met Maggie, he learned that the concept of family was subjective. It didn't have to be picture-perfect, nor did it require certain roles to be filled. Being blood-related wasn't even mandatory. The moment they met, it was as though the universe had said, "Here, Asher. This is your path." He had never let go of her since. Their bond would never be broken.

A harsh jerk brought him out of his thoughts, the collar of his shirt brought tightly against his throat as he was guided back to the path he had been headed down. He apologized under his breath to the person he'd nearly collided with, but only was met with an annoyed huff.

"Get out of your head. You've been in there a lot lately," a gruff voice came from beside him. The large hand released his shirt and Asher rubbed his neck.

He cleared his throat, blinking deliberately to snap himself out of his daze. "Sorry, Will."

His absent-mindedness had been worsening lately. Asher had always tended to daydream, escaping into different realities to ease his anxieties within this one. If he were to personify time, he would say that he felt he had been chasing the man all over Haven lately. He needed more time, but no matter how hard he tried to prevent it, the sun kept setting before he could stop it. So when he failed to stop another day, he escaped into a reality where time was endless, and he was able to do everything he wanted. To be with anyone he wanted. For as long as he wanted.

Fingers snapped in front of his face.

"Hello?" Will asked, annoyed with his friend's almost immediate disappearance once again. "We're here, let's go." Asher nodded, following closely behind as Will guided them through the large metal gates.

On the other side, they were met with beautiful foliage possessing brightly colored leaves, and unique flowers peeking out every so often. Vines wound themselves around the trunks of trees and bases of professionally sculpted statues. The walkway was lit with elegant light posts, guiding them down the stone path. It possessed a natural look but had most certainly been crafted by professionals. The sound of water met their ears as they turned the corner, two large fountains coming into view. Each was three-tiered, water trickling down to each level, eventually ending in a large pool.

The area was where the residents seemed to congregate, sitting on the fountain's edge or in lounge chairs, holding drinks and carrying on in conversation. Quiet music played in the background, but Asher wasn't sure where it was coming from. They were dressed in lavish attire, clothing costing more than probably a month of rent for Asher.

Asher gazed up at the impressive building. Made up of glass walls, you could see people walking along hallways and zipping up and down elevators. The glass was so pristine and clear; one could see the golden apartment numbers attached to the red doors lining the long halls. The entire building's frame possessed a gold finish. In comparison to the rest of the village, this complex was out of place.

The sound of laughter and chattering voices grew as they approached the fountains located at the center of the garden area. A few outdoor tables and chairs speckled the open space, filled with small groups, who Hannah often referred to as "cliques." She claimed they were made up of judgemental people who thought of themselves as highly essential and more important than most.