2. Woe

That night Asher and company were not the only ones transfixed by the broadcast. Every television and radio across all four nations was on high volume as groups gathered in anticipation, anxious for more information. Anything to help clear up the chaos and confusion that had been running rampant for the last few years. In this circumstance, it did not matter if you lived in a village, city, or the Capitol. Everyone was scared.

If you were watching the television, you would see a lovely woman dressed in a red suit, her blonde hair pinned and curled to perfection. She looked out of place standing amongst the rubble and smoke, her heels digging into the gravel path making it a balancing act for her. She had wanted to wear flats but the studio had instructed her to maintain a level of professionalism and fashion.

She gazed at her surroundings, sweat making the microphone in her hand slippery. The village had recently been up in flames and the heat had yet to disapparate. The smoke was beginning to thin out but she knew she would go home reeking of it. She flinched when ashes hit her cheek, falling from the top story of what was once an apartment building. Now it was a skeleton waiting to fall, a slight breeze likely to finish it off.

"Natalie, you're sweating through your makeup already," a young woman fussed as she quickly walked over with a small sponge already in her hand. She blotted Natalie's forehead and nose before adjusting a few pins that had come loose in her hair.

"You need to relax," she scolded before returning to her place by the camera operator who was standing at the ready.

Natalie cleared her throat. "I'm fine," she assured them.

She jumped as a wail of pain echoed through the clearing that was once the village. The three city dwellers turned quickly to see the leftover villagers gathered together on the ground. Those who were Menders were trying to heal their friends and loved ones, and Natalie frowned as she witnessed their efforts. The Menders were hurt themselves, and unfortunately not very talented. As they attempted to absorb the other's injuries they failed to simultaneously heal themselves. Their loved ones sighed in relief as the Menders cried in pain, sacrificing themselves. The stronger ones barely survived, taking on the injuries as their own along with the existing ones they had obtained from the attack. Others were not so lucky. They were too weak to absorb any more damage into their body and died trying to take the pain away from someone else.

"Natalie, let's go. Are you ready?" The cameraman asked impatiently.

She whipped around to face him, the makeup assistant gesturing for her to flip her hair back over her shoulder. "Yes, yes, I'm ready."

He counted down from three with his fingers, ending with a point in her direction.

"I'm here in Woe, the Western nation's smallest village. It was barely a blip on the map, and now, it no longer exists." The camera pans around to allow viewers to see the damage. The village had been completely torn down. Buildings had been turned to rubble, glass littered the ground, and the fire had spread to the forest outside the village, where people were trying to put it out. The bodies of villagers lay in piles while others were strewn in pieces across the paths, blood smeared in the dirt and any other imaginable surface left.

"Tonight Blight Hounds attacked. Some survivors claim they went through the woods, others say they came up from the sea. Officials have yet to confirm whether either situation is true, but over the last year, we have seen these creatures all but fly to get where they want to go. It almost seems anything is possible."

A dark figure passed behind the woman, catching her attention. She gestured to the camera operator to quickly follow her as she dashed after the shadow, calling out to him. The man stopped abruptly and turned, agitation evident on his face. He was dressed in Garrick attire, dark and clean cut. Pins adorned his chest plate, indicating he was of a higher level. He gazed at the woman questioningly, eyes flickering the camera in annoyance.

"I'm a bit busy," he said in a gruff voice.

The woman took a moment to smooth her hair out. "I understand sir, but the people are wondering, why would the pack show up in such a small village when there are plenty of other places more prosperous to attack?"

"Since when have you seen a Blight Hound run off with a lady's purse?" he asked sarcastically. "They don't care about anything other than attacking living creatures be it us or something else. Villagers are weak, they're easier to attack. It's simple."

"How many casualties would you say there has been tonight?"

The man shrugged. "Can't say, I didn't know the original population number. I've never even been here before. That should give you a pretty good idea," he said gesturing to a passing truck, its bed filled with bloody bodies both whole and in pieces.

"So what is the next step?" She asked quickly, seeming unphased by the image.

A horrific snarling sound picked up in the background, catching everyone's attention. Three Garrick members stood around a four-legged creature. It was a particularly large one, standing around four feet in height and eight in length. Two rows of sharp teeth bared down at them and thick fur with hairs like razors bristled in defense. It pulled with all its might against the chain that had wrapped itself around it, almost dragging the man on the other end down. The creature began to thrash in frustration, the chain digging in deeper as it fought against it. Blood began to pour out onto the ground, and that's when Natalie realized that the chain must be barbed. She wondered how deep it went.

As the creature bled out it started to slow, allowing two other Garrick members to close in on it. Wearing protective gear, they successfully muzzled and lifted the creature locking it into a cage and lining it up along with two others that they had also managed to capture. It gave a pathetic howl in protest before going unconscious, its head falling against the cage bar with a loud clang.

"Next we get those things up to the Garrick."

"Have there been any helpful results from the testing taking place in the Garrick? Are we getting any answers?"

"The fact that we have managed to capture these three tonight should answer your question."

"One last thing sir! What is the plan for protecting villagers? The Capitol and cities all over the world are building walls for protection but nothing has been done for the villages. How do you expect them to sleep well at night, especially after this particular incident?"

The man paused for a moment, staring at the three creatures who had just destroyed an entire village. "I don't."