9. Retribution

Warning: Violence and gore ahead.

~~~~~

As weak as he was, Asher was holding a glaring contest with the Garrick boy he'd punched. He was towering over Asher as he sat leaning against the Garrick outpost. After Ryker had snapped at them, he realized the boys weren't nearly as frightening as Asher had originally thought. They truly were newbies, unsure of themselves in the presence of authority and too cocky being back in a village. They were testing their limits, and Ryker had thankfully slapped them back to reality. It was almost as though they were the Garrick's version of villagers. The weakest of the bunch, and simply wanted a place to belong.

Asher's entire body was pulsing with pain. He had been bleeding in a number of places, but it seemed to have finally stopped. Asher had always found himself healing quickly from injuries, he supposed now he knew why. Though his percentage was below fifty, he did possess some level of healing capability. Perhaps he had been doing so subconsciously his entire life, and because his talent level didn't allow for the most productive healing rate, he simply never recognized it as an actual ability. By now he was left with a dull ache throughout his body with an occasional muscle spasm thanks to Ryker's parting gift.

"Scum villager," the Garrick boy growled as his eyelid twitched. His arms were crossed tightly over his chest, his cloak billowing in the passing breeze.

"Newbie," Asher taunted in return, smirking. The Garrick member huffed, finally averting his gaze before he stalked a few steps away. He remained close by, however, under orders to keep Asher waiting outside the Garrick outpost while the others were dealt with.

Asher wondered how Dawn had handled everything, worried she had overreacted and caused herself more trouble. She had always been a little rough around the edges, her temper just a tad short and low tolerance being her downfall at times. She was strong, however, raised by Mr. Mitchell it was difficult not to be. The man came across as a lovable teddy bear to his customers, but behind the scenes, the man was stern and assertive. Asher experienced his parenting methods firsthand while he had briefly stayed with them before obtaining his own home.

Mr. Mitchell had raised Dawn to be a strong individual, one who rarely required help and never outwardly asked for it. She was stubborn as hell but equally lovable. This situation, however, was completely foreign to them. It was the Garrick acting under the Capitol's orders, bringing them the worst news they possibly could. If anything was going to break Dawn's external shell, it would be this.

Asher's head snapped up when the outpost door swung open, revealing a sobbing boy, whether it was Peter or Billy he still wasn't sure, and a quiet Dawn escorted by the other two Garrick members. The young boy's cries wracked his body, a combination of tears and snot rolling down his face. When he was released, he collapsed to the floor beside Asher, who quickly recoiled from the disturbed blanket of dust that threatened to sting his eyes. Dawn had already been looking at Asher when their eyes met. Her face was sullen but stable. She was no longer crying, perhaps shock had gotten to her as it had him. She gave him a small, barely noticeable nod before changing her focus to the captain exiting the outpost behind them.

Ryker's voice was cold, just as when Asher had been dragged out of the room. It seemed his mood hadn't improved since their last encounter. "I'm only going to say this once, so listen closely," he looked pointedly at each of them, staring at Asher a tad longer.

"You are not to discuss what happened in the outpost nor the reason for it. Not with anyone. I don't care if they're your mother, girlfriend, or best friend. One word and I will know, and you'll quickly learn that there are worse things in this world than the Trial."