September

„You are late.", disapprovingly, the manager looked at his watch and then at Chrissy. She quickly apologized, took an apron from the hanger, and started her shift. To save some money for college, Chrissy had taken on a part time job as a waitress. Her mother was against it, her father didn't care. Anyway, she liked talking to people and her colleagues at the restaurant.

"Order for table five and this bag is a pick up.", the cook shouted. Sometimes people would call and ask for their food to be delivered or to pick it up at the restaurant. Chrissy placed the bag at the register and served food to table five. The bell over the door rang, a sign for new customers. "How can I help you?", Chrissy stopped as Eddie Munson grinned at her.

"Trash bag girl.", he said, and Chrissy wanted to disappear into the ground.

She tried to remain neutral: „Do you have a reservation?".

He leaned on the counter: „I don't but I am here to pick up my order, trash bag girl.".

Chrissy knew her smile looked crooked as she turned away and got the bag from the register. "That will be 25 dollars.", she handed him the receipt.

"That's quite a lot for some burgers and fries, trash bag girl.", Eddie sighted as he took out his wallet and slapped a fifty on the counter.

Chrissy grinded her teeth and handed him his change. This nickname was not amusing. Especially not because it was him who threw the dang thing at her.

"My name is Chrissy, by the way. Would be nice of you to use it.".

He put a hand on his chest, as if he was shocked: „Have I hurt the feelings of Hawking's very own high school's queen? Pardon me!".

Chrissy really had enough of this guy! There was no way she would give into his rubbish behavior: „Anything else? Because I still have an eight-hour shift ahead of me and you are annoying me. Also, stop using this stupid name. It was your fault I got hit and you didn't even apologize! You really make me regret not spitting on your burger!".

Maybe it was her imagination, but Eddie honestly seemed a bit surprised. He dropped the act, took his change and food, and left. As soon as he was out of the door Chrissy noticed that some of the guests had watched her little outburst. Her cheeks turned red immediately. Quickly, she went to the back where they keep the vegetables. Chrissy felt bad for shouting at him. After all, it was just a stupid nickname and nothing serious. Eddie just made fun, and she could have told him off in a calmer and mostly, quieter way.

The next school day, as Chrissy walked into her history class, Eddie's seat was empty. He didn't show up for the first period, neither for the second and she also did not see him at lunch.

"You seem distracted today.", Jason put his arm around her.

Chrissy pushed her food away from her, she already ate too much: „No, I am just excited for the new cheerleader tryouts this afternoon.".

"As if those little wannabes could outshine us.", Veronica was coloring her nails in a bright green.

"Well, whoever will become the captain after you, will have a hard time. No one can compete with my girl.", Jason gave her a kiss on the cheek and pulled her closer.

"Go Hawkins! Go! Go! Go Hawkins!", the freshmen shouted as she finished her routine.

Chrissy noted her name and a score. The girl had done well and would probably make the team.

"Are we done?", Veronica sat next to her, her long black hair was neatly tied up in a bun. According to her paper, she also wanted the girl in the team.

Chrissy looked at her list: „She was the last one. If no one is still outside, we can leave.".

Veronica clapped in her hands: „Great! Let's go get some milkshakes.". They both were still wearing their cheerleader uniforms as they stepped outside into the hallway. Veronica was ransacking her back, looking for something.

After a while she gave up:" Let me just quickly go back to the changing room.". Now Chrissy was alone in the dark hallway. The school seemed like a completely different place when no students were here. Chrissy decided to not wait for Veronica and already walk towards the parking lot. She stepped outside and shielded her eyes from the sudden brightness. As she looked to the right she saw, leaning against the wall. He just lighted his cigarette as Chrissy approached him.

Before he could say anything, Chrissy started talking: „Hey Eddie, I wanted to apologize for what happened at the restaurant. I shouldn't have screamed at you, and I am very sorry.".

Eddie just blew out some smoke, looked her up and done and shrugged. The silence between them was extremely uncomfortable.

"You weren't in class today. What are you doing here now?", she asked. Eddie took another puff from his cigarette: "Nothing you should worry about, princess.".

Chrissy looked at her feet:" Oh ok.". He called her by another nickname.

"Chrissy are you coming?", Veronica waved at her from the car. 

She turned back to Eddie: „Guess I will see you tomorrow.". He put two fingers on his head and saluted her, while smiling sarcastically. 

All the way back to Veronica, Chrissy wondered what she had done that Eddie didn't like her. She had sincerely apologized! Was it something she had done in class? "Why were you talking to that Munson guy?", Veronica asked. "I just wanted to say hello.", Chrissy shrugged.