Chapter Fourteen

Patricia Addams smiled to herself as she pinned her campaign badge to her suit. She was dressed sharply in a sombre suit, paired with a linen skirt that ended just above her knee.

"Hello, Brian," she said in a sweet tone as a nondescript woman dabbed some blush on her cheeks. "Today's the day."

"It's the most crucial day of the campaign, Ms Addams." He feigned a bow, a serpentine grin slithering across his lips. "Are you absolutely certain your son will...cooperate?"

She pursed her lips as the woman drew a blood-red line across them. "Despite our differences, Mr Wilson, Jonathan Lukewarm is family."

"And you don't turn your back on family," he replied and turned to leave. "Or at least that's what they say."

***

Jerome Goldman smiled at his wife as she stroked their son's head. Little John had fallen asleep about an hour ago on his mother's lap.

"A bit faster, André," Mary said to their chauffeur. "I want to get there before Patricia Addams."

Jerome lost his smile and replied, "Do you still think this is a good idea? Especially after that—you know—visit from the Revolutionary a month ago."

"But why would the Revolutionaries wish to entangle themselves in the mayoral campaign?"

"I suspect Patricia is a proxy planted by them." Jerome sighed. "What has this city turned into? Police captains have turned into murderers, politicians are mere puppets in the hands of terrorists..."

"That's why I refuse to concede." She gazed at the road ahead. "This city needs a strong leader—one who won't back down..."

"I just worry for your safety and John's. Even though I'm not sure about you taking your chances with the Revolutionaries, I will stand by your side. Always." He wiped the sweat off of his forehead with a silk handkerchief. "You see, Mary, you don't turn your back on family."

***

"Delivery for you, Lawrence," Reeves announced and slipped a little box into the cell. "Courtesy of the warden."

"Thank you, Officer," Victor replied and opened the box.

"What's inside?" Jason inquired.

"This is an...unexpected delivery." Victor's mouth was open in shock as he lifted a flask out of the box. "Why would MacFarlane give me this, of all things?"

"I'd throw that damned whiskey away if I were you." Jason sighed. "The warden is playing a sinister game with you, Vic. He's trying to break you..."

"But why would he—"

"Because he's in league with the Revolutionaries," a hushed voice uttered.

Victor and Jason turned around, taken aback to see... "Officer Reeves?"

"Call me Noah—and lower your voice, Lawrence." His eyes darted left and right, in order to confirm no one else was listening to their conversation. "Romeo Santos was framed for that robbery and was murdered by Parker—"

"Wait, the same Parker who had stabbed me in that riot the other day?"

"Yes, the same man. MacFarlane has appointed him as his de facto enforcer in the prison," he said in a hushed tone. "An ex-convict named Brian had asked Warden MacFarlane to get rid of Romeo as a favour, of sorts."

"It all makes sense," Jason remarked. "Romeo had testified in Victor's favour, so the Revolutionaries wished to punish this...wannabe Judas."

"So this means Caleb MacFarlane is on Patricia's payroll—" Victor began but was interrupted by the prison guard.