Chapter 1

"And I look into your eyes the way I look at the stars"

The Foretelling

Something had felt amiss, as you walked into the dark woods, it was slowly morphing into something frightening. But before you can fall into your turmoil, a glowing orb like object flies past you in a daze, lighting up a trail for you to follow. Finding joy at this, your smile slowly returns to you as you run to go chase it, your giggles are heard throughout the silent woods, with your barefoot crunching the grass underneath you, the moon watching upon you, you felt at home wherever you are right now.

Your hand reaching out to grab the glowing orb, your fingers almost touching the orb, it's so close now! But you gasp when a demon-like creature phases past you "what the hell" you whispered, your run slowed to a stop as you watched multiple demons? Rush past you and fight for the glowing orb, as if they don't see you?

Your smile faltered, feeling out of place suddenly, irked by this conclusion you've managed to come up with, you felt like you weren't supposed to see whatever this was supposed to be, You should probably wonder somewhere else now. Agreeing with yourself, you planned to turn just to feel your own curiosity gnaw at the back of your mind, screaming things like "What are they? What do they look like? What is that they're fighting about?"

Groaning in defeat, you ventured forth, confident that they couldn't see you anyway, but as you stepped on a pile of dried leaf and branches, the orange horned demon turned to you in alarm, your eyes meeting his glowing ones.

You woke up in cold sweat.

Rubbing the sleep out of your eyes, the soft glow of the moon light fills the room, the moon clearly watching over you in your sleep, you held your throat when you felt how dry your tongue was "like a desert" you croaked out, yep it's dry alright.

Rising from the soft blankets that is your bed, you headed towards your roommates and friends kitchen, making sure no sounds were heard, your feet basically glided towards the sink to get yourself a glass of water. Feeling refreshed after gulping the water down, your hand twitched in anticipation, feeling like you couldn't hold this one in, you opened the window in the living room.

Bright light manifested in your palms as you smile softly at it, your fingers dancing and shaping the ball of light in your hand, humming a familiar tune, just to flick it up and out the window when it got too bright. Creating these shooting stars really was the highlight of your day- er night? Smiling softly, you grab a chair and placed it by the window, bathing under the moonlight, feeling sleepy, you softly pat your thighs, inviting Johnny to come sit with you. You decided to ponder about that dream sometime in the morning instead.

Beep Beep Beep!

You groan at the incessant buzzing of your roommate's alarm clock, "I'll just wait for a few minutes" you silently pray that your roommate actually wakes up from her alarm. Sitting by the window, you notice the sun's warm rays shine down on you, blanketing your limp body in a warm embrace. Deepening your sigh as you still heard the annoying beeps from your friends room, you stood from your chair and looked bitterly at the sun, your frown deepening as you remembered a certain someone. Shaking your head, you instead advanced towards the beeping, not forgetting to bring the cat with you.

Finding your friend still deep in slumber, you place Johnny on her, giggling at how the cat had made it his home on her chest. "Ava..." you call out gently, giving her small taps as to ease her into waking up, yet finding no success, you opted to just scare her awake. Giggling, you sat beside her and screeched "Ava! Wake up! You're going to miss your interview!!!"

Her eyes looked like it was about to pop out of her sockets, jumping awake, almost flinging the cat in her wake, "WHAT!! WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME SOONER!?" then proceeds to run off like a mad man, soft thuds ringing through the apartment, you just sigh at your friends antics, they never really change do they?

Petting Johnny, you decided to just make breakfast for the both of you, seeing as Ava won't have time to cook at the moment, walking off to the kitchen, you weren't exactly sure how you and Ava actually stayed friends, I mean you both have similar likes, like for example, bacon- in which you both will be having this morning. Grabbing the bacon and placing it on the pan, you ponder silently on what has your life come to, your life before this was not exactly normal for a person perse, so you opted not to tell her that but seeing as you both are basically as close as sisters, you felt guilty keeping this from her.

Sure, she's always been there to help you whenever you need help the most, always patient enough with you and actually bothered to stay in your life, which you found nice. The sizzling of the bacon really reminds you of a waterfall, which you remembered that you should bring her to the one place with the lake for the both of you to relax sometime. Nodding your head to nothing, you continue to ponder not noticing Ava rushing out of her room, in her everyday attire, she mumbles something into the phone, looking grumpy as usual.

Hearing the chipper tone on the phone, you knew who was speaking with Ava. Snickering, you waved her over to at least eat a bit of food before heading out. Turning to the fridge you grab eggs for both you and Ava to eat and cooked them on the side. The moment Ava took her seat at the table, you knew she was going to ask you for something and motioned her to get on with it.

"So... Remember that today is trash day?"

Raising your brow at this, you knew what she was implying, pinching your nose bridge, you were never too good with saying no anyways "Fine, I'll do it today, just because you have an interview and you're running late but don't expect me to keep doing this okay?" her nodding like a child, you snicker knowing that this isn't the last time she'll ask you to do her a favor.

Once you place the food in front of her, she immediately devours and bids you goodbye, basically dashing out the door like sonic. Cleaning up the plates, you looked around seeing if you needed anything before heading out, your eyes scanning the rooms, you realized you need to get groceries soon seeing how bare the fridge is, well someone needs to be the responsible one between the two of us.

Petting Johnny before nabbing the trash bag, you take your sweet time down the stairs, fighting the urge to just jump down the stairs like an absolute idiot. Raising your hand to shield your eyes the moment you leave the entrance of the apartment, you found the sun much warmer today which is odd. Turning to the back of the building, you dump where the trash bin is, seeing as it was empty as usual. Throwing the trash out, you heard faint whispers of people grunting in pain.

You turn just to find no one but the sun beaming down the alley, "well that's odd" you whisper to yourself, you stare for a good minute trying to figure out where the voices had come from but found no possible source. Shrugging it off, you curse the sun for being too warm today and ran off to the supermarket.

You opted to grab snacks for Ava and you, as you heard her mutter silent curses under her breath whenever she finds out all the snacks are gone, of course more canned goods and ingredients for you both so you won't starve to death. As you check off the stuff from the grocery list, you feel quite warm today, too warm and you really found that odd, not wanting to take any chances with this anymore, you rush to the counter to check out your stuff.

Your nose scrunched in worry as you check your phone before leaving, no new messages or anything, that's a good sign right? You tried to reassure yourself that nothing happened and you're just worrying as usual as you dashed back to your apartment. Your feet tapping on the elevators floor, hearing the hollow metal sound that irked you, you tried to focus on that instead, but the moment the elevator did its signature ding! You rushed out of the metal box just to find you and Ava's apartment door melted off and the wood that surrounds it charred as coal, you rush in.

Word Count: 1,489 words