Chapter 38: Confrontation at Dawn

Emiya landed within the forest that surrounded the old Einzbern Castle in Germany. The area was once guarded by powerful Bounded Fields, Evil Spirits and a myriad of Homunculus guards, but this changed years ago. Einzberns Castle came under attack by the Red Faction during one of the wars as the Einzbern had aligned themselves with the Black and used the castle as a base of operations. The battle which took place was a grueling month long battle that heavily devastated both sides. Black Faction and Einzbern had to abandon the castle in the aftermath.

Emiya treded lightly through forest occasionally leaping from tree top to tree top making sure to keep an eye out for any unwanted guests or otherwise.

Snow fall was light on the area, casting a natural blanket of cover including the darkness of night but the sun would be rising soon so Emiya had to make it quick in case of a servant happened to still patrol the area.

'I hope Illya's memory of this place is correct, I'm knee deep in the black's territory'

Illya had given Emiya as much information regarding the layout of the castle from her own memory visiting it once with her mother, and from old family books and documents.

Illya had participated within the 99th Grail War, but she had been gravely injured relinquishing her ability to continue on. That had brought much relief to Shirou, as Illya was the last remaining part of his family and would not see it go. Illya's injuries still plague her to this day and she lives in a small town in southern Japan now.

Emiya darted through the outskirts of the castle scouting premise in case of any remaining traps. He eventually felt it was clear and headed within the old castle.

Entering a rusted down stronghold, dust littered the floor and walls of a once grand castle. It seem no one had entered in quite awhile due to the crumbling interior.

Emiya took a slow pace making sure there weren't any traps still active within. It seem any defenses had long worn out thankfully. His objective was searching for the Library as it held what was needed by Rin. It did not take long to find this room after opening every door on the first floor. Emiya entered the library located within the back of the castle. He immediately checked around the main desk finding a small lever hidden beneath the feet after pushing the desk to the side. Emiya lifted the lever up as a sudden shift occurred in the floor next to one of the bookshelves as it then opened slightly like a hatch.

Emiya walked over to this hatch noting the magical lights that slowly flickered awake. A small staircase shifted downwards in a spiral. It descended about 3 floors as Emiya eventually reached a decently sized hidden chamber.

Various tables filled with magical texts littered some shelves on the walls. There two large center tables with various equipment upon them as it seem to be the hidden room Illya spoke of.

Emiya got to looking through the various documents about. Einzbern kept much information about the creation and study of homunculus within this chamber. Skimming the various books, there was no prevelant information that was needed.

Illya said the Einzbern would keep a 'death book' detailing the information of masters within the War. They wanted blackmail and the ability to extort other Masters if needed.

Emiya poured through various documents of all manner of secretive topics, but there was one set of noteworthy information. It would seem the Einzbern had some of Director Marisbury's research. These various documents detailed Marisbury research into strange beings that were not of this realm and various entities that may have a stake in controlling the holy grail. Emiya skimmed through the rest finding a report from a Einzbern spy in Chaldea containing pictures from hidden cameras. One of pictures had Marisbury and another individual in his office. But whom this person was nearly made Emiya's eyes pop from his head.