Nine Lives

Jake was thankful when Kate interrupted him and Frank's 'moment'.

Jake's awkward statement had prompted a smile from Frank, and truthfully it wasn't something he'd found himself prepared for. It hadn't lasted long, but watching the other man smile felt like he'd been graced with sunshine in the middle of a vicious thunderstorm.

Kate had poked her head in unprompted, eyes bouncing between the two of them, brows knitting together as she seemingly tried to piece together whatever the Hell was going on. Knowing her, she was probably confused by the fact Jake had somehow managed to get Frank to crack a smile, but he didn't ask.

Instead, Kate shoved herself between them, flopping herself down on the blanket Frank had moved to the side a little earlier.

"Whatcha up to?" She asked, handing a stolen bottle to Jake.

He quirked a brow, turning the bottle over in his hands. It looked to be some type of beer, probably something she or the others had managed to bring out of a trial. The label was faded, but they knew to just eat, or in this case, drink, whatever they'd found anyway. What was the worst that could happen? As dark as it was, food poisoning was nothing compared to the way they'd feel when Adiris would infect them with her plague. The taste was worth whatever repercussions they'd deal with later.

"Oh, you found beer again?" He asked, handing the bottle back to her, "Is there enough to share?"

Jake didn't drink a lot, but since being brought to the Fog, he and Kate would sometimes have one together. It was one of the few things they could consume that actually tasted like it did back home, and it brought a small sense of comfort to the group when they needed it most.

"Of course, I wouldn't be showing this to you if there wasn't!" She beamed, producing two more bottles from outside of the tent and offering one to Frank.

Frank took the bottle in his hands.

"You brought one for me, too?" He asked, with a tone that indicated both surprise and disbelief.

Jake found himself hiding a smile at the interaction. It just felt natural to him, watching as Kate treated Frank with the same respect and dignity she'd show anyone- even if he hadn't always been on their side.

Kate let out a laugh, as she nodded.

"Yeah, 'course! You at least kept things interesting when you and Jake would flip each other off across the lake. How did you even manage to hang around there?" She asked, breaking the cap off of her bottle.

Frank shrugged, gesturing for Kate to do the same for him.

"I just thought it was funny, and I was bored, really..." He responded, Jake watching as he took a sip of his drink, "I wanted to see how long I could stay there before I pissed her off, y'know?"

The beers were warm as he'd expected, but the comfort was still appreciated, and Jake found himself smiling as he watched the exchange between Kate and Frank. He couldn't imagine having the gall to try to go against anyone- let alone a God, or whatever The Entity was. Jake had had a hard enough time going against his parents wishes, and-

"Jake!"

Jake's attention snapped back to Kate, who was calling his name.

"What's on your mind, Jake? You're so spacey lately! Anyway, Frank was telling me there's champagne behind the bar of Ormond. We should try to steal it next time we're there!"

She was smiling as she took another swig of beer, Jake's gaze settling back to Frank.

"Yeah, I'd like that," He responded, as he watched a smile pull at the other man's lips.