Everlong

Luckily, they weren't in a trial when it happened.

Frank had Jake's head rested on his lap, completely passed out when everything started rapidly falling apart.

Everything besides the items they'd gathered from trials or brought with them initially slowly began to disintegrate, screams coming from every direction making Frank's head spin.

The noises around them went past the other Survivors screaming- he could feel the souls of those tortured before him, the ones that haunted the basements of each trial being released from whatever prison they'd been kept in.

They were either going to die for real, or they were going to get out- Frank could feel it.

He grabbed Jake's hand, hoisting him up from the ground as he lay there, still in a state of shock.

If anything had prepared him for this moment, it was his stupid fucking childhood.

"We gotta go, grab what you can and let's make a break for it!" He shouted, swallowing the fear that threatened to consume him.

He had to keep ignoring the fear that he was about to lose Jake- everything was going to be fine.

It had to be.

Jake gave Frank's hand a squeeze.

He could feel the other man shaking, but he was sure he was too. He felt his teeth chattering, and quickly surveyed the area in a desperate attempt to locate any of his friends.

He quickly swooped down to grab the teddy bear he'd swiped from Ormond- one he'd been meaning to give to Frank but hadn't yet, and the blankets he'd stolen from God knows where.

Regardless of what happened, he knew he'd need that in the very least.

He and Frank had taken to wearing all of their clothing they had just in case this was to happen, considering everything had been a waiting game up until this point.

He tugged Frank out of the tent, eyes fixating on the most amazing thing he'd ever seen.

A brilliant orange rift appeared before them, with what looked like a forest just beyond it.

There were people on the other side, ones frantically waving for them to get out.

It seemed safe, but the fears intensified as they drew closer. Who knew what world was beyond this- how much things had changed.

"Jake, wait!"

Jake paused, turning to look once again at Frank.

The brunette's hand found Jake's chin, gently lifting his head to look at him.

Jake's heart was in his throat- not just because their world was collapsing but because Frank had chosen now to finally make a proper move after he knew they'd both been too afraid to.

Their lips met, Frank pressing the softest kiss Jake had ever experienced on his lips. Something about it just felt right- like it hadn't been the first time they'd experienced it.

And Jake felt like his heart could burst, only yearning for more when Frank stepped away from him, almost as quickly as he'd pulled him to him in the first place.

Within reason of course, they were running out of time. Now wasn't exactly the best time for sweeping romantic gestures- in fact, Jake would argue it was the worst time Frank could have possibly picked.

But that seemed to just be their style.

"I couldn't live with myself if I never got to do that- I'm sorry the timing was bad."