A Friendship Evolves.

"Have a great day at school, honey!" said Mrs. Aruk while making breakfast for her husband in the kitchen.

"Thanks mom, love you po!" "I love you too" Mrs. Aruk was laughing as Ikeru hurried to go to school because he woke up late.

"Shit shit shit... I can't be late for school again" He curses while he ran as fast as he could since it was his fifth time in the week that he's been late in class.

He passes an old man who always sits every morning at the table outside the local café. 

"Good morning, Ikeru! What's with the hurry?" "Good morning po manong! (uncle, friendly word for an old man who isn't familiar to you.) I woke up late this morning, I had no time to shower and I have math class in three minutes "Ikeru said.

He was exhausted, desperately gasping for air. "I better get going now po manong, enjoy your coffee!" "Have a great day at school kid!" But Ikeru was already far away.

"Heh...this kid" said the old man, taking a small sip from the newly brewed coffee.

"Oh no I'm already two minutes late, fuck!" Ikeru was sprinting to the classroom.

"Watch out kid!" "Hey, keep the tempo down!" "No running, kid!" Ikeru could hear the teachers scolding him from all sides but he chose to ignore them and finally arrived at his classroom door. He knocks two times and opens the door slowly.

"Sorry po Ms. Mae" Ms. Mae, Ikeru's Math teacher looked at him in disgust.

"You filthy pig, you didn't even shower before you come to school? You are five minutes late!" Everybody was laughing except one kid.

"Is he new?" Ikeru thought. "Ikeru sit down!" Ikeru took a sit at his desk and Math class continued.

He had no troubles answering the questions the teacher asked him but whenever the teacher was writing on the board, he looks at the new kid.

"He looks... quite different. He has the skin tone like a Pilipino but looks more... like a mix" Ikeru thought.

Suddenly the teacher called someone up. "Oi new kid, answer me this" The new kid stood up, ready to answer the teacher's question.

The new kid answered the hard question in a short time and got it correct, everyone is in awe, but Ikeru is busy observing him and figuring out what ancestry he is.

"W-Well done, you can sit down" The new kid smirked and sat down.

When it was time for lunch break, Ikeru's stomach started rumbling. As he got in waiting line to get his tray of food, he saw the new kid sitting outside the canteen eating from his lunchbox.

"Hey kid! What do you want to have for lunch?" said an angry voice. Ikeru quickly looked away.

"I'll have Sinabawang Isda po (fish and veggie soup), ate (sister, used to refer to an older woman)." The lunch lady gave Ikeru his food and went to the table, where no one was sitting at.

He took a small glimpse outside to see if the new kid was still there.

"I swear I saw him a second ago, where did he go?" Ikeru thought.

He started eating his fish soup. Ikeru finished his lunch, gave his tray away and went to attend Spanish class.

"Buenas tardes, Ikeru, here is your Spanish quiz. Full marks as always, well done!" Ikeru, of course being an aced student was proud and laid back on his chair as the teacher explained some grammar rules on the board.

After a long day of school, Ikeru made his way home until the bullies came.

"Look at you, you have white hair, how ugly"