4

After about 10 minutes Belly and Jeremiah joined you guys on the blanket. You all talked for a while just catching up on what had happened in your lives since last summer. Jeremiah had joked about Conrad's moodiness lately, which was surprising to you seeming as he had been so sweet since you arrived. His smile dropped when Jeremiah said that and it was like something took over him- you could see it in his eyes, pain. Instead of asking him about it now you decided to wait until you guys had gotten back and you could talk to him alone.

You changed the subject and opened a new drink, after downing the first 3 whole high noons in the 45 minutes you had been there. You had never told them the real reason why Kayla had stopped coming with you, you simply just said she had gotten a summer job and had cheer training. They never asked about her, till now.

"Hey y/n, how has Kayla been? I kinda miss her she was hot." Jeremiah said in his flirty tone. Belly looked over to you with sympathy in her eyes.

"She is doing good" you said with no emotion in your tone. This was the first time in a while you were finally hanging out with everyone again and didn't want to ruin it, yet alone want them to think you are some loser who gets bullied by your ex best friend. And with that you start chugging your drink again trying to distract yourself of the thought of her as Belly changed the subject.

After about 30 more minutes of listening to Jeremiah drag on about all the people he had hooked up with in the past year and Steven talking about new video games the boys needed to play this summer, Belly finally suggested heading back to the house to get cleaned up for dinner. As you got up you could tell you were starting to feel the alcohol, but collected yourself quickly not letting it show. You grab the cooler as Jeremiah picked up the blanket and trudged your way through the sand. Once you make it back to the house you empty the cans into the recycling and hang up the cooler to dry out before heading inside. You notice Conrad has already disappeared, probably into his room, and you decide to go up and find him to talk about what Jeremiah said. You reach his door and knock a few times before you hear a mumbled come in. You step inside and smile at him even though he wasn't looking at you because he was too busy looking at his phone. You jump onto his bed taking a seat on the edge, startling him and finally getting his attention.

"Hey about what Jeremiah said, I was too busy ranting about my problems to even ask you if there was anything going on in your life you wanted to talk about. Are you okay?" You question looking into his eyes. Once again you see that same look of pain in his eyes but this time he sat up clenching his fist.

"I don't know why everyone keeps asking me that" he states with frustration.

"Because they care about you Con. And if you have been acting different they probably just want make sure you are okay. You know you can talk to me right" You reply calmly.

"Frankly it's none of their business, neither is it yours." The harshness in his tone takes you back a little.

"I thought we told each other everything Conrad. You even made me promise when we were 12 that we would never keep anything from one another."

"Yeah well things change y/n. And you're the one to talk you kept everything from me the past few years, you barely even came out of your god damn room." He said with anger building in every word.

"Yeah and I guess maybe I should've just done the same thing this year." You reply with hurt in your voice before standing up and walking to your room, shutting the door not even looking back to see what Conrad's reaction was.

  Jeremiah wasn't really lying after all you thought to yourself as you pull out your secret bottle of vodka deciding you would need it to get through family dinner that was going to start any minute. You take about 3 shots before pulling out your phone to watch tik toks as you waited to be called down. Not more than a few minutes later you hear Susannah yell up the stairs that dinner was ready. You stand up and take a look in the mirror. You had a few fly aways in your braids from the wind at the beach that you hairspray down quickly. Before going downstairs you decide to take one more shot dreading the next two hours of your life.

   You open the door to your room and head slowly down the stairs grabbing the railing so you did not stumble in front of everyone as you made your way down. You felt eyes following you as you did so and when you reached the bottom and started heading over to the table you realized that they were Conrad's who was already looking at you apologetically. You look away quickly and take your spot at the dinner table which was ironically right across from Conrad, "great" you whisper to yourself and you place your napkin over your lap. This was going to be a very long dinner.