9.Vespera

Calypso

"Who are you?" Arden's voice cut through the silence like a sharpened knife, the edge in it unmistakable. I silently noted the way he stepped in front of me, blocking me from the woman's view. I peeked over his shoulder to watch her approach, each movement gracefully so that I wished she would trip on the flowing dress she was wearing.

"Why, Arden," Arden flinched at the sound of his name, clearly thinking the same thing I was. How did she know his name? Lady V continued, "I'm the newest deity of this realm. A replacement for the other, oh, what was his name..."

Her voice trailed off and Arden uttered coldly, "Leorn, the watcher and deity of the Field of Whispers, which has been replaced. By you, I assume."

Lady V smiled, a smile that didn't exactly meet her eyes, "An advancement. I used to be at the lowest level of Umbeunter so it was my delight to be made the newest watcher of this level, a sincere offer from your father that I gladly accepted."

We both knew full well that the words this woman was speaking were lies falling from her lips like raindrops. I could see Arden's neck muscles tensed, his teeth gritted, and his jaw clenched so hard I thought it was a miracle it hadn't broken yet. Attempting to sway the conversation before Arden did anything both of us would later regret if we were even alive to regret it, I spoke up, "Lady V, the flowers are simply gorgeous. How are they growing so lovely even in the underworld?"

A natural smile this time lit up her face but I could see the snake-like look in her eyes, the same coyness returning and melding with the smile to give her a prideful look, "A few wonders and such, my dear. They help to distract me from...my past and betrayals. Each of the colors stands for different things but I won't bore you with the details."

She paused and tilted her head, studying me peeking over Arden's shoulder before muttering something I couldn't quite understand. Then she bent down and picked a crimson red flower beside her, sniffing it before tucking it behind her ear delicately, "Would you two and your spirit friend care to join me for some tea?"

Lady V must've caught me gaping at her words because she said, "I know all visitors who enter my garden, dear."

She turned and began to walk away, leaving Arden and me frozen. I shook out of it first and dug my fingernails into Arden's hand, forcing him to look at me. Keeping my voice down, I muttered, "Should we trust her?"

Arden shook his head fiercely, "No. Don't drink anything she offers."

Up ahead, Lady V called back, "Why don't you call your friend to join us, won't you dear?"

Swallowing hard, I called out, "Odysseus! The deity of this level would like to meet you." I choked back the few unkind words that stuck to my throat wanting to join the other two sentences. His faint figure came into view, still hard to discern from the collage of colors but the look of annoyance was very visible.

"What, Calypso?"

I put a shushing motion up to my mouth before gesturing to him to join us. For once he listened and floated over, flashing like a strobe light and giving me a pain in my head. He leaned down for me to whisper in his ear what Arden had told us, grimly nodding his head. I looked at Arden, who plastered a fake smile on his face before calling out to Lady V, "Lady V? Is there a way out of this level?"

She turned around, her eyes narrowing at Arden, "No. Not unless I were to help you out, which I can't do unless you join me for some tea, courtesy to all weary travelers." She spat out the words like poison.

Odysseus murmured, "Not much of a nice one, is she. She may be more horrid than you Calypso."

I didn't know if he was joking and I tried to tell myself that it was but the tone in his voice said otherwise. I tried not to let it bother me, turning back to face Lady V. Her stance had changed, more rigid and alert than before. Behind me, I could hear Odysseus and Arden having a hushed conversation. My interest peaked, I looked at them and they immediately shared a look before stopping their talk. I glared and turned back around, only to hear my name occur again in the mix, said with a hint of annoyance and edge to it.

I frowned but didn't try again, instead, straining to make out their words. Slowly, our slow line gave way to a white gazebo perched on the top of a hill. Arden and Odysseus stopped their plotting to catch up to Lady V and me, Lady V standing poised like a welcome host. Sitting on the table was a pot of tea, fragrant steam wafting out of it and gliding in the breeze to fill my senses with the floral smell.

"Please, have a seat," Lady V said, stopping at the entrance of the gazebo and gesturing us in. I cast a wary glance at Arden but he looked down, finding interest in the blanket of flowers surrounding us. I stopped myself from scoffing at him, biting my lip so hard I tasted blood before sliding into the curved seat, settling into the fluffed cushions that were placed almost like she knew guests were arriving.

Pushing any worrying thoughts out of my mind, I accepted the fragile teacup she set in front of me and plastered on a grateful smile. Lady V picked up the teapot and poured the fragrant liquid into the cup, a rich crimson-colored tea.

"A blend of my red, purple, and blue flowers." Her tone became more sorrowful, "My heartache, jealousy, and sadness. All of which I have abounding fields of."

I felt the words twinge in my heart as I accepted the cup, wondering what she had gone through.

"Thank you," I said, blowing on my tea. The smell was tempting but I kept Arden's words tucked away. Yet each second stretched longer until I couldn't last anymore and lifted the cup to my lips, prepared for the blissful taste...

Somebody kicked my leg under the table, causing me to drop the cup and watch it shatter into sharp shards. I looked at Arden and he glared, either for my slip-up or because he now hated me, I didn't know. Lady V spoke first, "Well, that's unpleasant."

Before I knew it, another cup of tea was placed forcibly in my hand, Lady V's face set into a look of frustration as she uttered with gritted teeth, "Drink. The. Tea."

Nervously, I laughed, casting a worried look at Arden and unsure of what to say, "Er, ugh-"

"Just drink it."

Arden tried to cut in and start another conversation but Lady V's gaze stayed focused on mine. I forced a smile on my shaking lips, "Do I have to drink it, or-"

"It's impolite to not take what your host gives you." Her tone was scary and imposing. She leaned in and pushed the cup toward my lips, the rim touching barely, "Go on, dear, drink the tea."

The table jostled again and I dropped the cup, my hands shaking as the tea splash its crimson shade onto the white marble. Lady V turned to him, "Will you stop, Arden?"

Arden blanched, "How do you know my name?"

Her gaze narrowed as she said seethingly, "I know your name, very, very well. A few of these flowers may be because of it."

The name Arden spoke next came out as nothing more than a shocked whisper, a name that chilled me down to the bone, "Vespera."

Lady V's form shifted, turning into someone about my age with the same long black hair and eyes. But her complexion became more pallid, setting off her dark, dangerous eyes that watched us like prey watching birds. Her lip curled into a smirk as she added, "The one and only."  

_______________

A/N:

I forgot to add my author's note earlier, lol. BUT, readers of my last work, "Burntout," do you remember a certain dagger that Cassie used? Sorry to all of those who DID read it and got to see her get _____... (If you don't, go read it!) I'm going to tie it into this work so be sure to read the next chapter when I post it and you'll see what I mean!

Also, special thanks to my silent reader, especially my lovely reader(s) from Sri Lanka who has been with this story since my first work! I don't know who you are but I would love it if you make yourself known or at least shoot me a private message so that I can thank you more personally :DD

Remember to vote, comment, and read! #VOCOR

-Rae