17.The Fifth Floor

Calypso

The new level seemed almost futuristic, the buildings curved and in free-form shapes. One almost looked like it was upside down and another looked like a drop of water, falling into place. Yet, it still had an underworld feel to it, the building's dark tones of blue or grey and the sky a downcast sort of look, almost like it was about to open up into a downpour of water. Lights lit up windows in some of the buildings but not enough to see anything inside.

And the spirost.

They were there.

Ever present along the black stone streets, they floated off the ground, thin wisps of colored smoke. Some looked old but others looked young, too young to have died. None of them showed any signs of how they had died so the only thing I could do was wonder.

Turning to Arden, who had gone still, the crystal ball shattered on the stones. "What level are we in?"

He blinked and looked at me, a sort of glee in his eyes, "We're nearly out, Calypso, we're nearly out!"

"What level?" I repeated again, trying to retrain my excitement. Were we really one step away from beating the gods at their own game?

"The fifth floor. The fifth. This is... is the closest anyone I have ever guided has gotten. Most only make it to the twentieth floor before they run out of time." He ran his hand through his hair, "Though, Vespera did make it to the twelfth floor before we got stuck in a dangerous place. And I couldn't do anything to stop the time. I had to hear her last pleas for me to save her..." His voice trailed off and I felt a slight twinge in my heart.

But I couldn't let that distract me.

Not now.

Not when I was so close to making it.

So close.

But still out of my reach.

I studied Arden, "How do we get out of here?"

"This is the level where the spiriost who don't get a second chance at life but aren't necessarily the 'bad ones' who get tortured in the lower levels. This is the in-between level, where they stay here forever, living a simple but provided life. The gods aren't that cruel."

I started hard at him, "They are. Far more than you may now."

He shook his head, clearly not feeling the need to argue with me. And I didn't want to either. It didn't feel right to make any sort of amends, not when we were going to split ways once that immortality was in my hands. I didn't feel the need to make any, nor would they matter.

For once, I had beat my curse.

I hadn't fallen in love.

And in between making a deal with a god, nearly dying, watching what I thought was my ticket out of Umbeunter get his soul taken, another encounter with a god, and nearly dying once again- it made sense. There wasn't any connection between us other than the fight for our own survival in this maze of the elven gods.

Solekki was right about one thing.

There were no gods trying to push us together.

And I would make sure of that, somehow, someway.

I looked at Arden and asked the question that had been on the tip of my tongue, "How do we get out?"

Even the dull lighting couldn't hide the way he paled, "The only way...it would be through the Place of Reflections. It's composed of mirrors...that show you your deepest fears and the truths in your heart."

"That doesn't sound too bad."

"It is. Very disorientating, there's something close to it on the twelfth floor...and of course, Vespera didn't make it out of there. But you're more cunning like everyone's been saying, surely you can get out of there before you lose your mind-"

"You? Aren't you going through it as well?"

He nodded grimly, "We have to go separate though, and pray that we meet up at the other end. My father has told me stories of others who have been guided and who have tried to pass through there. None of them ever made it. It's blocked off to all of the spiriost, so I've always thought the reason my father added it was for his own, cruel games. Such as these ones."

I tilted my head to the side. I could tell that what he was telling me was only a portion of what he truly knew. But I didn't want to waste any more time on it.

It would be better to go in unprepared than to scare myself out of doing it.

"So," I started, focusing on him, "Where is this place?"

"Are you sure you want to go through with it? Once you enter, you can't leave."

"I don't see any other option. Do you?"

"Yes, but-"

I steeled myself, putting as much force into my words as I could, "No 'but'. Tell me where it is. I'm getting out of this place and I will die trying."

Again, he looked like he wanted to argue but he gave in with a long sigh. "I don't know exactly where it is. It's more of an instinct. You'll find it when you need it."

"But I need it now!" I threw my hands up, "Where could it-"

I stopped talking when I saw the faint outline of a building that hadn't been there before, forming in between two buildings. It had a look of a mirror, bent forward, but if I tilted my head ever so slightly, it looked like it was standing up straight. The building was like one of those fun house mirrors I had once experienced in another life. I tilted my head further to the left and watched as the building seemed to twist around itself, almost as if it was made of some sort of reflective clay.

Oddly enough, I didn't seem to see any of the spiriost in the reflection, though I was still very aware of their lingering presence around us. But yet, I could still see Arden and I's reflections, both focused on the building. And the spirits didn't seem to notice the building either, some passing literally through it and coming clean out of the side we were looking at not even flinching as the mirror seemed to melt around them, allowing them through.

I looked at Arden and he didn't seem as surprised by it as I was. He almost looked concerned and unsure. But the look of determination now setting into his eyes was evident.

"This is it?" I asked. He nodded firmly and neither of us seemed to want to be the one to take the first step. But, after taking a deep breath, I wrapped my hand around his wrist and pulled him forward. Each step seemed like it took a mile but...slowly we came to a stop in front of the building. The mirror almost had a broken look to them now, tiny cracks warping what had appeared to be an unblemished surface.

And the entrance.

It looked like a void, sucking in all the light and making it pitch black.

I knew now that if I went in, I wouldn't be able to go out.

"Remember," Arden spoke, his voice breaking the heavy silence between us. "All of it isn't real. It's only illusions and fake scenarios. None of it is real. None of it can hurt you."

I looked at him, searching his face for any sign of hope. I didn't see any. "See you on the other side?"

"Of course."

He slipped his hand in mine and together, without caring whether we were enemies or allies, friends or not, we stepped into the darkness.

__________

Gotta love those cliffhangers, right?

Remember to vote, comment, and read because we are so close to the end! *Fun note, I just finished writing the last chapter yesterday*

-Rae